• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bladesinger Preview!

SPECTRE666

Adventurer
Fluff = Who the hell cares?
I do!
No there are not, for an example look at the feywild guardian options for the knight, that has the restriction of you must be an eladrin. no such thing with the bladesinger.
What part of: "Almost without exception" do you not understand?

I understand that Almost gives the DM the ability to allow say a human baldesinger. Better have a really great backstory.

What ever happened to saying NO to a player, or does the sense of entitlement of players today trump that?

Do you guys let people play a human dwarven defender? Because racial restrictions are so stupid and 1980.

Do you guys enjoy CRAPPING on the legacy of D&D FOR YOUR MUNCHKIN POWER BUILDS?
All of these armchair designers really piss me off...

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post

That's not the point... there's no reason that, for example, a genesi could not have a martial style combining weapons with spell casting. The fluff can be rewritten, and classes' 'fluff' can be used for multiple things.

Caring about fluff is fine, but fluff is arbitrary. If you're in the FR, a DM can require justification for a bladesinger that isn't an elven race... but such justifications can include 'He's not bladesinging, but using a different form of sorcery his people use that is mechanically identical to the bladesinger class.'

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Player characters are exceptional. Therefore fluff like this doesn't apply to them.

What ever happened to saying NO to a player, ...
It went the way of the dodo - killed by evolution. :p

Sure, a DM can have a campaign where all bladesingers are eladrin. And all wizards are halflings. But the rules here are quite clear - bladesingers can be of any race.

Klaus

First Post
I do!

I understand that Almost gives the DM the ability to allow say a human baldesinger. Better have a really great backstory.

What ever happened to saying NO to a player, or does the sense of entitlement of players today trump that?

Do you guys let people play a human dwarven defender? Because racial restrictions are so stupid and 1980.

Do you guys enjoy CRAPPING on the legacy of D&D FOR YOUR MUNCHKIN POWER BUILDS?
All of these armchair designers really piss me off...
Chill, man. Does the fact that someone, on some campaign, somewhere in the world is playing a gnoll bladesinger offends your sensibilities?

As for "munchkin power builds", the best races for bladesingers are still Eladrins and Elves (two races with +Dex/Int).

Ryujin

Legend
PG 67 in the Race section "Almost without exception, a bladesinger is either an Eladrin or an Elf."

So there still are "dumb" class racial restrictions...;)

Which from my experience tells me that, almost without exception, the first Bladesinger in my campaign will be anything BUT an Elf or Eladrin :lol:

Ryujin

Legend
And in my experience, a DM who doesn't ask for players to justify their characters gets what he gets.

And I do ask for justification, by way of backstory, then use it for role playing hooks throughout the campaign. I'm pretty sure that one particular player will build a rather extensive character background, in order to justify a Human Bladesinger. He'll likely give himself a mechanically supported background, that supposrts having been raised by Elves or Eladrin, for example.

Remove ads