D&D (2024) Blast from the past

So instead of speaking about existing systems that should be altered or removed, how about this question.

For the upcoming rules refresh/revamp, what rule or system would you like to see return that didn't either appear in 5th ed at all, or is just a shadow of it's former self.

My vote: 4th ed's skill challenges. Probably still needs some work, but the potential is there.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Off the top of my head...

4E skill challenges.

4E monster design.

4E monster types: minions, standard, elite, solo; monster roles: skirmisher, brute, soldier, etc; and the bloodied condition.

4E monster lore checks listed with the monsters.

4E encounter design.

4E classes like the warlord and the swordmage.

AD&D2E monster ecology and more interesting descriptions, lore, etc for monsters.

AD&D2E spell acquisition for clerics and wizards.

AD&D natural healing instead of the superhero-style overnight regeneration of 5E.

AD&D level and stat drains.

B/X 2d6 reaction rolls.

B/X 1d6 side-based initiative.

B/X 2d6 morale checks.

R_J_K75

Legend
Return to a finite number of allowable spells per day (i.e. remove spammable cantrips).

Go back to different progressions (attacks, saving throws, etc.) for different classes (i.e. remove the "one proficiency bonus to rule them all" paradigm)
Agree with both. The more I play/DM 5e the more I dont like it. I agree it needs an overhaul but at 3 years out I think 5E needs to go and just create a new edition, because we all know the backwards compatible claim is B.S. A good portion of their announcement revealed next to nothing AFAICT. The slip case comes out late January and then Mordenkainens book late 2022? Why if this is included in the slip case will it not be available separately immediately? Then theres campaign settings coming in 2022 & 2023 in new and exciting formats, what the hell does this even mean, in the bottom of a box of Cracker Jacks? Just come out and say what you are potentially planning with the caveat it may change, they probably wasted an hour or two dropping hints but revealing nothing Sunday. I'm not liking the way it seems things are heading at WotC so I have little faith in their next rule iteration and have been considering sticking to what rulebooks I have and be done. I'll see as things progress and make that decision when the books come out.

jgsugden

Legend
I am still not a fan of skill challenges.

They reduce storytelling to dice rolling, and often resulted in weird 'fits' like where a group of PCs without a high intelligence PC attempted to research a solution in a library by a.) Moving shelves to get at the good books, b.) Climbing the shelves to get to the books too high to reach, c.) Spotting a book title that looked to be on topic, and d.) flirting with the librarian to see if she knew where the right book might be. When that happened, and the DM started to say, "ok, you won the skill check" and I pointed out that we had not yet opened a book .... well, it was reason for me to take the skill check structure out of play and go back to just role playing it out like I did in prior editions (and have since after the first year of 4E).

There are situations where they work well - but in my experience, just role playing it out works just as well in each of those situations. They're a nice crutch for new DMs, but should be phased out.

As for what I want to see returned from older editions:

* Levels 21 to 30. It would be fun to kick the dust off some PCs that retired after hitting 20 and run them up a bit more.

* Psionics.

* More magic items that do not require attunement.

Agree with both. The more I play/DM 5e the more I dont like it. I agree it needs an overhaul but at 3 years out I think 5E needs to go and just create a new edition, because we all know the backwards compatible claim is B.S. A good portion of their announcement revealed next to nothing AFAICT. The slip case comes out late January and then Mordenkainens book late 2022? Why if this is included in the slip case will it not be available separately immediately? Then theres campaign settings coming in 2022 & 2023 in new and exciting formats, what the hell does this even mean, in the bottom of a box of Cracker Jacks? Just come out and say what you are potentially planning with the caveat it may change, they probably wasted an hour or two dropping hints but revealing nothing Sunday. I'm not liking the way it seems things are heading at WotC so I have little faith in their next rule iteration and have been considering sticking to what rulebooks I have and be done. I'll see as things progress and make that decision when the books come out.

I do wish they'd show greater transparency with road maps like MtG does, I mean I know exactly what products are coming in 2022 and some of 2023, except the none Warhammer Commander Decks, and that is not hard to guess.

Remove ads