• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blending 13th age backgrounds with D&D 5th proficiences

redcloud111

Villager
Hey guys

Finally got around to reading through 13th Age's rulebook. Really, really, like the often stated innovations. I plan on running through the D&D's Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but I'd like to make the argument to use 13th Age's icon's, as well as a number of simple mechanical changes that will be easy to implement (i.e. quirky magic items, escalation dice, milestones instead of XP, etc.). That brings me to backgrounds. I love the idea of narrative-infused play. So, I was wondering if anyone has thought through how to 1) keep D&D's traits, flaws, ideals, bonds that trigger inspiration, as well as skill proficiencies and 2) blend them with 13th Age's backgrounds? I know I could just discard skills and use 13th Age's backgrounds, but I am wondering if a blend of the two is even possible.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
well bonds, ideals and skills should all be covered by 13th backgrounds.
you could add flaws - although I am hesitant. Flaws seem like they can/will be used as an excuse to be a ****"
which breaks my cardinal rule of gaming "don't be a ****" They would have to just be added in. (If you trust your players with it. )

Inspiration looks like a good implementation of the mechanical advantage for good role playing. You could give it out for any use of icon bonds or background tie ins.

Xorne

First Post
This won't help you right now, but supposedly the DMG will have optional rules for 13th Age style backgrounds.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads