D&D 5E Blessed healer and mass cure spells.

Inanity

Explorer
Just a quick question. If a character with the blessed healer feature casts a spell that heals multiple targets (such as Mass Healing Word or Mass Cure Wounds) and includes themselves among the targets, does the feature trigger or not?

For reference, here is the rules text: When you cast a spell of 1st level or higher that restores hit points to a creature other than you, you regain hit points equal to 2 + the spell’s level.

Yes it would trigger. Lets suppose I said this (describing secret santa): If you buy a present for X (where X does not equal YOU) you will receive a present from Y (where Y doesnt necessarily equal X; but it could, the crucial thing is X cannot b YOU). So, if you get a present for a creature (in the relevant domain) other than you you will get a present. Secret santa doensnt explode if someone buys a present for themselves nor even if they just go and buy a present for EVERYONE.

In short, it says IF you heal someone else you are healed; NOT: you are healed IF AND ONLY IF you target someone else.

noko

old hag of a DM
Politely, gently, I humbly submit, the following :

1) your interpretation is likely not general thought. Statistically, a consensus opinion, uniformly held by all En World members would not truly constitute “general thought

2) the rules state:
TARGETING YOURSELF
If a spell targets a creature of your choice, you can choose yourself, unless the creature must be hostile or specifically a creature other than you. Ifyou are in the area of effect of a spell you cast, you can target yourself.

So, I afraid the rules interpretation you are advocating, is incorrect.
(I write the above without venom or ill will.) 😄

A caster of Mass Healing Word can absolutely target themselves.
Oh, I'm not claiming they can't. I just don't believe the default interpretation is that they do.

Last edited:

Yes. If they cast the spell, and only chose themselves as a target then the Blessed Healer would not kick in. So long as at least one other creature is targeted, though, it does apply.
Which was my point....I assumed I did not have to completely restate the order of operations detailed in the post again in the last sentence. 😀

noko

old hag of a DM
Right, but the actual rules differ from your beliefs....to put it bluntly.
Phoo. Either they are writing in English or they aren't. There is no recognized American yet...although it may have to come. State your rules while setting them completely and leave nothing for dissent or common English understanding is assumed and usages are left intact.

How many men are there?

I see six men. There are seven here including me.

The self is not assumed while counting others but is specific. I include myself in the count specifically or not. The spell is cast specifying upon whom. As it is cast upon others the boost is given. Gah.

Last edited:

Jokers to the left of me, Clowns to the right......

noko please explain what is ambiguous about this rule from the PHB:

TARGETING YOURSELF
If a spell targets a creature of your choice, you can choose yourself, unless the creature must be hostile or specifically a creature other than you. Ifyou are in the area of effect of a spell you cast, you can target yourself.

and how it interacts with this spell:

MASS HEALING WORD
3rd-level evocation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action Range: 60 feet
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous
As you call out words of restoration, up to six creatures ofyour choice that you can see within range regain hit points equal to ld4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs

Mass Healing Word states, (as you have quoted noko), that you chose up to 6 creatures of your choice that you can see. The targeting section of the PHB states that “yourself” is a valid choice, when a choice of targets is allowed by a spell. (For Umbran, since this is apparently the internet: some caveats apply..see quote above.😎).

noko, the position, (you stated in writing), was the caster of Mass Healing Word could not target themselves because they cannot see themselves.

Without a mirror, a person with sight can still see their hands, chest, feet, legs etc.

Would you, please explain why this is not sufficient?

Ambiguity in the English language, does not seem a germane response, so your responses so far, have been a bit baffling to me.

noko

old hag of a DM
Jokers to the left of me, Clowns to the right......

noko please explain what is ambiguous about this rule from the PHB:

and how it interacts with this spell:

MASS HEALING WORD
3rd-level evocation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action Range: 60 feet
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous
As you call out words of restoration, up to six creatures ofyour choice that you can see within range regain hit points equal to ld4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs

Mass Healing Word states, (as you have quoted noko), that you chose up to 6 creatures of your choice that you can see. The targeting section of the PHB states that “yourself” is a valid choice, when a choice of targets is allowed by a spell. (For Umbran, since this is apparently the internet: some caveats apply..see quote above.😎).

noko, the position, (you stated in writing), was the caster of Mass Healing Word could not target themselves because they cannot see themselves.

Without a mirror, a person with sight can still see their hands, chest, feet, legs etc.

Would you, please explain why this is not sufficient?

Ambiguity in the English language, does not seem a germane response, so your responses so far, have been a bit baffling to me.
Are you reading what I wrote? I said that the caster may specifically include themselves in the healing I don't how many times over...Did you read my posts past a sentence or two? Did you miss it?
What happened to the question?

Do you believe that a mass heal absolutely always heals the caster? Is that your objection?

Whatever. Even though I have actually DM'd for nearly forty years I break apart on your screaming of the current rules which worry me not one whit. Piss in your corner of the sandbox and I'll play in mine. We will have peace in the end.

Remove ads