Blocking a single Avatar?

Lindeloef

First Post
Is there a way to block/not see selected Avatar(s)?

For example, I just cannot stand the picture [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] is using, and I don't want to see anymore?

Note: Morrus was just an example, I don't have anything against his Avatar.

Satin Knights

First Post
Actually, there is, but not by using the forum tools. You can set it up in your browser.

Firefox browser with the 'Adblock Plus' addon and 'Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus' addon.

The combination of the browser and two addons will allow you to select a specific element and have it disappear. I have done so for facebook/twitter buttons on many sites. Images, buttons, div blocks, etc can be blocked to remove the things you don't want on the screen. This method doesn't work if the object is created by javascript after the page has loaded, but for what you want to do, it will work perfectly. You also get the added benefit of much of the advertising automatically disappearing by the main function of Adblock Plus. Morris still gets paid for the page view advertising, because it made it to my browser, it just didn't make it to my screen. :cool: Click through, well, that was never going to happen anyways.

I think the combination is also available in Google's Chrome, but I rarely use that browser.

Morris still gets paid for the page view advertising, because it made it to my browser, it just didn't make it to my screen.

I don't believe this is the currently the case. IIRC, page view advertisers have worked out ways to identify if ad blockers are running, and not count the false hits.

A better option is to use Adblock's feature to whitelist specific websites to allow the ads to come through. That's what I do for ENWorld and a couple of other sites.

I would also recommend Flashblock, which is an add-on that stops Flash from loading until you click on it. This stops all those really annoying adds that play sound (sorry Morrus), as well as news sites that want to auto-play video.

Remove ads