Blocking Fireballs

Dragonjester

First Post
Can a monk or anyone with Deflect Arrow feat, intercept a fireball before it reaches it's target if it passes within the 5' space of that character?

hong

WotC's bitch
Dragonjester said:
Can a monk or anyone with Deflect Arrow feat, intercept a fireball before it reaches it's target if it passes within the 5' space of that character?

No. Deflect Arrows doesn't works against "exceptional" missiles, and by any stretch of the imagination, a fireball bead is an exceptional missile.

Dragonjester

First Post
No. Deflect Arrows doesn't works against "exceptional" missiles, and by any stretch of the imagination, a fireball bead is an exceptional missile.

Actually it says "exceptional ranged weapons can’t be deflected" not missiles. I believe that refers to balista and catapults.

On the other hand deflect arrow does state that the character can only use the weapon
when the character would normally be hit with a ranged weapon.
So I guess I've answered my own question. I just though it could be applied to this situation.

hong

WotC's bitch
Originally posted by Dragonjester

Actually it says "exceptional ranged weapons cant be deflected" not missiles. I believe that refers to balista and catapults.

Yes, that's right. So if an enemy ever throws a balista or a catapult at you, that would be an exceptional ranged weapon and you couldn't deflect it.

Here's the relevant quote from the PHB:

Exceptional ranged weapons, such as boulders hurled by giants or Melf's
acid arrows
, can't be deflected.

Magic projectiles fall under the category of "exceptional ranged weapons".

Orco42

First Post
Dragonjester said:
"when the character would normally be hit with a ranged weapon"

So I guess I've answered my own question. I just though it could be applied to this situation.

By the rules you can not. But if if passes within the reach of the monk I would let him do it.

Save the rest of the party from the flames. A hero way to die. ;)

kreynolds

First Post
Orco42 said:
By the rules you can not. But if if passes within the reach of the monk I would let him do it.

Save the rest of the party from the flames. A hero way to die. ;)

Provided of course that the rest of the party is over 20 feet away. ;)

Orco42

First Post
Admiral Ray said:

Monks have all good saves and evasion. I think that's the reason the monk would take the fireball: he might not take any damage from it. :D

There would be no way I would let the monk use evasion. He would go out of his way to be hit by the fireball. I don't think I would even give him a save.

But I'm a bastard. ;)

Remove ads