Bloodied Penalty

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Whiffing gap? (showing my ignorance or intuition) are you planning on giving it only to monsters? If so I am fine with it.

I dislike the idea of when the going gets tough the tough get nerfed with this and similar system it throws out the heroism... if you want to give it to a bad guy who doesn't already have a positive on bloodied ... then sure.

If not and I was one of your players who had something which made him get mighty when bloodied, Dragonborn or Shifter or even not I would argue against it.
Further Most powers that undo the bloodied state ie healing become a little more useful arent those useful enough as it is!

Doctor Proctor

First Post
Monsters are bloodied _far more_ than PCs, so in general it's a boost to players... can you give some examples of builds that are notably weakened by a temporary defense penalty while bloodied?

Like, I don't think it's of much impact to Dragonborn who get their bonus while bloodied, but also shouldn't really spend a long time staying bloodied. I'm not very familiar with other examples that are stronger?

Well, your proposed houserule would really ruin a big piece of the Inner Dragon Paragon Path in Martial Power. The Daily Utility you pick up at level 12 is called "Ancestral Manifestation". Your HP instantly drops to your bloodied value and you gain THP equal to the amount of HP that you lost. Until you no longer have THP's you have damage resistance equal to your CON mod, and you gain all the effects of being bloodied. Additionally, as part of that path, the Dragonborn Fury bonus goes up to a +2 to attack when bloodied.

As a Dragonborn Fighter, I was heavily leaning towards that Paragon Path for both mechancial and RP reasons. My goal would then be to use that during the BBEG fights and to then try and maximize the amount of time I can keep my THP's, and thus gain the damage resistance and extra effects from being bloodied. If you throw in some penalty like a reduction in AC, or enemies doing increased damage, it sort of defeats the purpose of having that ability. Not to mention the fact that it really takes Dragonborn Fury and Dragonborn Frenzy down a notch.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
The fighter's boundless endurance is another one. You get lots of healing; but since you're bloodied, you risk dropping soon. If bloodied imposes a -2 to all defenses, it's a lot worse.

Bloodied already has a pseudo-penalty in the sense that a bloodied creature is already closer to death, and I think that's a balancing factor in a lot of PC better-when-bloodied powers -- you are living on the edge.

-- 77IM

keterys

First Post
Ayep... and things which encourage you to be bloodied often make combat more exciting (well, assuming they actually do... so less so for consecrated ground, say), so you don't want to make it completely painful to be bloodied.

Remove ads