Board Game Review: Arkham Horror by Fantasy Flight

Many of you fine people who love to sink your hours into RPGs will be well aware of the Call of Cthulhu system, and with good reason – it's a very interesting way to play that is packed out with opportunities to tell some truly messed up stories based in H.P. Lovecraft's rather twisted universe.While most of the world is totally unaware of what's happening around them, a brave core of...

Many of you fine people who love to sink your hours into RPGs will be well aware of the Call of Cthulhu system, and with good reason – it's a very interesting way to play that is packed out with opportunities to tell some truly messed up stories based in H.P. Lovecraft's rather twisted universe.While most of the world is totally unaware of what's happening around them, a brave core of adventurers do their damnedest to keep the darkest of forces at bay while retaining their sanity – perfect for when you've had your fill of battling dragons or flying through deep space.

Now, you're also probably aware of the range of board games that have spawned from the same universe, the most famous of them all invariably being Arkham Horror from Fantasy Flight Games, The original version was released through Chaosium back in the late eighties, but the newer version deals with many of the problems raised by its older sibling,streamlining the gameplay and making things just a little easier to handle when it comes to saving the world.

Not to say that it's a simple game to play – Arkham Horror is a monster, often descending into a mess when attempted by novices. If there was ever a game where you need to have experienced players at hand to help guide you through the whole thing, this is it. A convoluted rulebook mixed in with a wide range of options available to you each turn means that first time players may feel a bit swamped but if you can stick with it you'll be rewarded with a most enjoyable experience.

Ostensibly, we're looking at one of the first proper co-op games. You and your fellow players are working together in order to defeat a Great Old One that's attempting to take over our universe in it's own delightful way. Some are easier than others – it's suggested that newbies tackle Yig, while veterans can go all the way up to the big guy himself: Cthulhu. Before you lies the town of Arkham, filled with locations that will soon start swarming with monsters that are preparing the way for their master to arrive. All you need to do is stop them.

Players select a character at the start of the game, each of whom are given a range of items that will help them in the fight. You also choose your various stats that will determine things like how fast you move around the board, if you can sneak past enemies, how much awfulness you can withstand... you get it. Your chosen character also has two vital levels you need to keep as high as possible; their Health and Sanity. If either of these drop to zero or below during play, they die! Thankfully, should this happen it's not all terrible – you doget to roll up a whole new character. In fact, it can often be a good idea to do if all you've got in front of you is crap and you're coming close to the final battle. More on that shortly.

First though, how do you win? Well, throughout the game you'll be hunting down interdimensional portals that you'll need to travel through. Make it out the other side and you'll be able to close these doors by spending clue tokens that can be found or won by interacting with people and locations. Sealing the portal means an Elder Sign is placed on that space and getting six will win you the game. Option two is that previously mentioned final battle which is triggered when the Great Old One's Doom Track is filled, but this is a lot more dangerous...

The Doom Track essentially works as the Health points of your chosen enemy. Pretty much everything in Arkham Horror means adding tokens to the track so playing the game ends up in a battle to the death more often than not. Regardless of what's happening in Arkham, if the Great Old One awakens you all drop what you're doing and fight – unfortunately,should you die during this process it's permanent. No respawns, just the ignimony of defeat. You'd best hope that you and your colleagues have got enough firepower stocked up to make a decent go of combat.

As well as wandering monsters and an impending end-of-the-world situation happening, you'll also have to deal with an ever changing environment, those aforementioned dimensional rifts popping up all over the place and –most importantly – constant attacks on your mental and physical health. Playing Arkham Horror often ends up as an exercise in attempting to not screw up too badly while also praying that your dice rolls come up trumps. There is a LOT of dice rolling in the game, mainly around the combat system, which means that many players decry it as being entirely down to how lucky you get. Ignore those fools. It's a game that we play for enjoyment and after all, if you were always guaranteed to win, what would be the point in even setting the thing up?

I honestly don't see Arkham as a 'normal' game – for me, it's a logical extension of the Call of Cthulhu RPG. When you don't have the time to get involved in a long term campaign, it's the perfect way to scratch that itch, particularly if you see it as an opportunity to tell stories rather than just an exercise in moving around a board and rolling a bunch of dice. Just make sure that you have someone on your side who is more than happy to take the lead in showing you what to do...

stevelabny

Explorer
I just recently started playing this with my gf, running 2 characters each. We love it.

We've played 3 games so far, the first with a few rules errors including one which I'm pretty sure worked against us to make the game long. The other two with only minor flubs that I think we've got fully under control now. The first one took FOREVER - after 2 nights and 7 hours I had still made a miscalculation so we fudged a stat 1 point just to make the game end rather than drag on a few more hours. The second game was against Yig (supposedly the fastest possible game) and clock in at 3.5 hours. The third was just over 4.
We tend to play slow, and playing two characters each also slows things down, but I'm pretty sure now that we're comfortable with the game, those times will shrink a bit.

Even with those long play times, I don't consider it that complicated. If you have any RPG experience at all most of the concepts will be familiar. And if you're willing to play with a few rules slips you can still have tons of fun the first time through the game while you nail down the exact order of actions each turn. The main problem (like I've found with most board games) isn't even the rules, its the LAYOUT of the rules in the book. At least this rulebook comes with a small index and if you're really stumped there's a large FAQ and tons of help on BGG to get you on the right path. Once one person in the group understands the flow, I think it can be taught to noobs pretty quickly, especially if you just let them control their own character.

As for the gameplay... sure, you're playing against the deck of cards and what card you get is luck. And your dice rolls are luck. But there's still a fair bit of resource management and i love the constant feeling of dread that builds each time another gate opens or another set of monsters swarm. As you play a few games you will figure out some meta-strategies like which locations on the board are the most volatile but supposedly the expansions address that.

As much as I want to keep exploring the base game, part of me is already chomping at the bit to start getting the expansions. To me, this game is the perfect way to scratch the RPG itch without playing an RPG.

Nytmare

David Jose
Though I really enjoy the game, I have three minor qualms with it. The first is a question of real estate and table space. The game itself is big, and the three or four expansions I got before I cut loose from the series each ate up a significant amount of table space. We're playing on a table that's about 4' x 7' and were hard pressed to find a spot that wasn't taken up by a stack of cards, or a box or pile of tokens. I'm not sure what the latter run of expansions were like, but circa 5 or 6 years ago it was pretty insane.

Where the piles of cards were an interesting mechanic when we started playing, each new game left me feeling like I would be better off relegating all of the stacks of cards to a chart or computer program. I haven't checked out BGG, but I'd wager that a lot of people have probably already done this, and probably turned it into an iPhone app by now.

Finally, and by far the most minor of my problems, we have reached the point where the number of Fantasy Flight Cthulhu games, that use the same cast of characters, and the same basic list of Eldritch Lovecraftian Terms (tm), means that it's next to impossible to find an answer to a rules question online on the first 3 or 4 tries. I don't have the proof in front of me, but I'd be willing to bet that the titles of the three games (Arkham Horror, Mansions of Madness, and Eldritch Sign) all appear as items, places, and things within the other games.

stevelabny

Explorer
nytmare, well yes table space is an issue - I have a pretty huge table and i think two or three of the big box expansions would fill the table completely. You simply CANNOT play this on a 3x3 folding table and need to use a full-sized dining room table.

But I want to speak directly to the rules questions online bit since I just started playing.

The official FAQ is pretty well done and is sure to answer a lot of questions. Beyond that, boardgamegeek.com is almost always the first google option for me when I type keywords and even on the rare instance you can't immediately find an answer...posting a new thread will get you an answer in minutes.
It is possible that Elder Sign would pose more of an issue (I haven't tried) because Arkham being older/more popular will pop up on search for that. but Arkham and Mansions of Madness are both pretty easy to separate with a search.

Ketherian

Explorer
I played this game late last year with friends when an RPG session fell through. It was a lot of fun, but I'm certain we didn't exactly follow the rules. Several times we read and re-read what was in the box, went online and eventually just made stuff up to fill in the gap. We lost, but we had a great time doing it. We also went up against Yig and the game lasted about 3 hours. This is a game that would greatly benefit from a demo-team showing off how to play at a convention or game store.

I didn't know about boardgamegeek.com. Thanks for the reference; next time it will be one of my first stops when I have board-game questions.

Jhaelen

First Post
Arkham Horror is one of my favorite board games and I've played over 200 games. It took about three games before I had the rules memorized and I posted quite a few questions on FFG's forum before I got that far. But it's really worth it because every game is different, especially after adding one or two expansions. The only disadvantage in my book is that it can take a long time to finish a game.

DnD_Dad

First Post
The wife owns a few boxed sets but she says she doesn't want to play because the first game she played in, I wasn't there, resulted in a lot or arguing and confusion. I want to try it out, and the "local" gaming store plays every Saturday.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
The wife owns a few boxed sets but she says she doesn't want to play because the first game she played in, I wasn't there, resulted in a lot or arguing and confusion. I want to try it out, and the "local" gaming store plays every Saturday.

I picked this up after the last GameDay. Maybe I'll run it at the next one.

DnD_Dad

First Post
Vyv do you live close to Plainfield? The wandering dragon plays every Saturday and is a great store. We could meet up and play.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads