Boardgames List

Fyrestryke

Explorer
Grimhelm said:
This is why I love playing games. I love being challenged and then rising to that challenge. Bob can attest to the fact that I like this, otherwise I would not keep playing stupid St. Petersburg with him all the time! Anyway, we all have our reasons for playing games, but winning is not mine. I like to win, but what I like more than anything is the challenge...

Goodness knows that you're just asking for a butt whoopin when you play St. Petersburg with Bbo. :cool:

Fyrestryke

Explorer
thormagni said:
Oh, I would definitely be bragging. Cause nothing gets the ladies interested like a long, long, list of role-playing games sitting on a shelf collecting dust. Except maybe an excessive amount of knowledge of pro wrestling trivia.

OH! OH! I carry an excessive amount of G.I. Joe trivia in my head. =)

thormagni said:
As for board games, I thought Pandemic was a lot of fun. Things I liked - it didn't take forever to play. It had rules that were easy to grasp. It had cooperative play.

Yeah, that is one fun little game. I really enjoyed playing it. I think another one or two games would have resulted in burnout tho. I'm ready to play it again, just not all at once like that. :)

Fyrestryke

Explorer
BobProbst said:
Settlers and Powergrid are both very unforgiving to new players joining an experienced group. Early mistakes will wreck any chance of competing late in the game.

The alternative is to have the experienced players "play" the newcomers early game (no fun for the newbie) or the new player can accept the imbalance and learn from the others.

I don't mind being a n00b in a game. I just take my licks, learn from them and get better and eventually I might win. Long as I'm not playing against Bbo or Ryan. :p

InzeladunMaster

First Post
Grimhelm said:
Well, I agree with your number 2 complaint. The games you mention are like that, and it is something I have said many times. Anyway, I can see your complaint, but this should be a passing thing for you and not a reason to throw away consideration for the games overall enjoyability.

Well, I think it is kind of natural - if the first time wasn't fun, then rarely will something be tried a second time. Imagine if the first time a person got on a horse, and it bucked and threw the person, breaking arms and legs... that person might not ever ride a horse again. Bob's reaction to Arkham Horror seems similar - he had a rotten first time.

Grimhelm said:
Anyway, we all have our reasons for playing games, but winning is not mine. I like to win, but what I like more than anything is the challenge...

For me, it is to dive into an alternate world for a while. The atmosphere is important. I loved Thebes, but if one were to use the same rules, but call it something else, and decorate it differently, I could easily dislike it. That is why games like Power Grid and Ticket to Ride fail to engage me. Use those rules and make them games about monsters, or vampire hunting, or Conan or just about anything else, and I could love them!

Last edited:

Grimhelm

First Post
Oh, I know. I actually agree with you on both accounts. I usually have a gut reaction to games or other things I do. You do this too. The reason you and I are quick to dismiss things is because, unlike other people, we listen to our guts and trust our instincts. And very often they are right. Of course, I have had bad gut reactions to some things, as Chris mentioned, only to find years later that I sort of like them. So, what am I saying? I don't know. Man is a fluctuating inconstant riddle, I guess. Ain't it great?

InzeladunMaster

First Post
That is true, from beginning to end, Mark.

I would argue that the reason we trust our instincts to change our mind years later is because our tastes change over the years. The AD&D games (and even some books & movies) I loved when I was a teenager would not fulfill me today, and many movies I love today, I wouldn't have enjoyed as a youth. We also tend to know when we need to try something again.

Fyrestryke

Explorer
InzeladunMaster said:
For me, it is to dive into an alternate world for a while. The atmosphere is important. I loved Thebes, but if one were to use the same rules, but call it something else, and decorate it differently, I could easily dislike it. That is why games like Power Grid and Ticket to Ride fail to engage me. Use those rules and make them games about monsters, or vampire hunting, or Conan or just about anything else, and I could love them!

I've got a game "Monsters Menace America" that might fit that bill. =)

Grimhelm

First Post
InzeladunMaster said:
We also tend to know when we need to try something again.

This is a good point! It is almost like some weird magic attraction brings us back to things we missed or dismissed in our younger years. Of course, I would argue that our subconscious just remembered whatever it was we dismissed and then suddenly spoke up and said, "Hey, remember Moby Dick?" :)

Remove ads