Boardgames more popular than videogames?

Mystery Man

First Post
My sister and my brother in law come over and we play board games all the time. I tease her that the next time they come out we're all going to play DnD.

painandgreed

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
* Axis and Allies Miniatures: another thing I haven't checked out.

I've been playing at least a couple of times a week since it came out. It is basically a really simple version of Squad Leader turned into a collectable minature game. If you think you'd like Squad Leader without the rule books of doom, then you'd like A&AM.

We've got a group that used to get together every weekend to play boardgames. There's lots of games out there that are new, inventive, and fun to play, especially from Germany. My favorite has been Game of Thrones and expansions.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
painandgreed said:
I've been playing at least a couple of times a week since it came out. It is basically a really simple version of Squad Leader turned into a collectable minature game. If you think you'd like Squad Leader without the rule books of doom, then you'd like A&AM.

We've got a group that used to get together every weekend to play boardgames. There's lots of games out there that are new, inventive, and fun to play, especially from Germany. My favorite has been Game of Thrones and expansions.
Indeed the Germans seem to be producing the best boardgames of late...not of the wargame variety, that is.

Troll Lord Games has recently published Tom Wham's Planet Busters game that is a lot of fun, and they are planning to do my own historical card strategy game, King of England-King of France next year, I believe.

Cheers,
Gary

Arnwyn

First Post
Crothian said:
I can see the more people, but videogames is a multi billion dollar industry so I think it wins. :D
Yep, that's it.

"More people" playing is meaningless to a business. "More money" (profits, not just revenue) is not.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
It's a wonder D&D gets produced at all, isn't it?

I'm amazed at how many copies of the Doom and Civilisation boardgames my FLGS has gone through. These are expensive games, but they're being bought. (And often by my friends... :))

Although board games aren't going to be *big* like computer games in terms of sales/profits, there's still enough money there for companies to be interested.

Cheers!

Reynard

Legend
Here's hoping that at least a couple games will be fun, well designed, replayable D&D boardgames. Sure, at first the only people that will buy it will be D&D players, but they'll soon make their non-roleplayer friends and families play, and if the games are good, they'll spead like wild fire.

grodog

Hero
Just a quick note, that FFG's edition of Arkham Horror is in fact a reprint, and not a new game. It was first published by Chaosium in 1987 or so.

I'll also second the notion that a Titan reprint would do quite well! :D

Staffan

Legend
I just wish Avalon Hill would do a new edition of Civilization, building on the Advanced rules + the western expansion map. It will probably never happen though, on accounts of the rights to the name being all kinds of messed up, what with the computer game and the board game based on that.

Hussar

Legend
I would just like to say that I played the original PlanetBusters game and had way too many hours of fun with that. A reprint would be way cool since my game has gone the way of the dodo many moons ago. (Far too many moves for a game that flimsy to survive. Mores the pity)

Kumaiti

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
They've done a good job with some of the new stuff and rereleasing robo-rally, well, that was just damn smart.

ROBO RALLY ????
Oh boy !! since I heard about this game something like 10 years ago I always wanted to play it but I could NEVER find it in any shop...

Remove ads