Bolstered Resilience + Undead

Eleclipse

First Post
So, one of my player is an undead, with the classical dr/5...

He saw this talent, Bolstered Resilience

and now he want to take it and us it every turn since he's an udead he can't be Fatigued :V

Now, this don't seem quite right to me, are there any errata i don't know?

I'm also not sure of what to do, sure this seem a bug but i don't know if it's better to ban it or not since it's not that powerful ... (at least with 5dr)

milo

First Post
As written being undead is a great loophole. What type of damage bypasses his DR x/magic is pretty easy to bypass. If his DR is 5/-, then it might be a problem.

Crothian

First Post
The problem is the PC is undead. The feat was not designed for undead characters in mind. When you allow things outside the base assumptions of the game you are going to run into rule problems like this.

Nebten

First Post
Yah, you openned the door with allowing him to be undead with DR 5/bludgeoning. You can either allow it or disallow it. I would find it cheap of you though to start disallowing feats, powers, etc because you made the mistake of allowing him to be undead in the first place.

Of course, this means you can use this a feat for the undead/elemental/constructs that you throw at the party as well ;)

N'raac

First Post
Given he can't be fatigued, some other limiting factor would seem reasonable, perhaps that he cannot use the feat again until some period of time has passed, similar to the likely time to recover from being fatigued. It seems reasonable to apply a similar restriction to the frequency of use, even if the penalty of being fatigued is avoided.

Or, if the player wants to be unreasonable, let him take the feat and make sure all his opponents have bludgeoning weapons.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Couple of points

First is that is a feat from Ultimate Combat. If you're not allowing material from Ultimate Combat then you don't have to worry about it.

Second, it only applies to the first hit in a given round, text says "...against a single attack". So for all other attacks he is back down to DR 5/Bludgeoning. So you have a few options to threaten him depending on the overall party level...

You can throw large single damage hitters (elder elementals, etc) where each hit is significantly more than DR 10 or DR 5.

You can throw many smaller hits at him a round (a number of orcs, etc) so that the first one is DR 10, but the rest are only DR 5 so he's taking a number of small hits per round.

Lastly you can give some of their challenges Bludgeoning weapons that will just bypass it anyway. Keep in mind that almost every natural weapon used by normal monsters is usually Bludgeoning and will bypass his DR (Bite, Claw, Hoof, Tentacle, Wing, Pincer, Tail Slap, Slam - Natural Attacks

It really shouldn't be that game braking to allow your player this feat, at least any more so than allowing them to be undead and gain DR 5/B in the first place. They are having to use a feat on it that they can't then use on something else and there are lots of ways around it

Remove ads