• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bonus Damage Dice on Critical Hits...

DracoSuave

First Post
Based on that page, it's feasible that you could make a case that getting the extra damage on a non-damaging attack is not ruled out. Page 225, I think, clarifies the intent.

Thanks, guys.

Extra damage is never applied when no damage happens. You need damage to occur before extra damage. (PHB2)

Non-damage and ongoing damage effects are a different story, however.

OakwoodDM

First Post
Extra damage is never applied when no damage happens. You need damage to occur before extra damage. (PHB2)

Non-damage and ongoing damage effects are a different story, however.

What about a power like the Sorcerer's level 5 daily, Acidic Implantation? The power itself does damage, but that damage is part of the Effect, not the Hit. The hit only pushes. Would a critical hit apply the implement's special effects?

Jurph

First Post
Crits are exciting! They are the moments that everyone remembers from the encounter: "I was toe-to-toe with the giant, let loose with my daily attack... and CRITTED!" The party rallies around a character who crits; the tide of battle turns. For that reason alone, I'd say "yes" to OakwoodDM's question about magical damage as part of an effect (not part of the hit) -- justify it as a direct hit on an already-open wound or a soft spot in the armor, where the acid causes particular agony; or since Acidic Implantation does splash damage, perhaps you justify it as the sorcerer finding a particularly rich vein of magical power to tap into and summoning a more hideous acid than he'd managed to before.

You feel a surge of magical power, and you feel a pinching pricking tingle in your fingertips... you notice that you've summoned an otherworldly acid that is whitish-green and viscous, and that as soon as it appears it steams and boils. If only you had a library and an orrery nearby, you might find the confluence of stars and elemental powers that caused it! The hideous screams of your enemies will have to do for now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads