D&D (2024) Bonus languages in One D&D backgrounds goes contrary to their other goals

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So you're saying a human with a three intelligence learns faster than a dwarf, elf, halfling, or orc with an 18 intelligence?
The Intelligence stat represents a character’s memory and deductive reasoning ability.
That they are genetically more capable of learning than any other race?

And you don't find that problematic?
They’re not more capable of learning than any other race. They’re fast learners. Necessarily so due to their short lifespans relative to the other races.

Remathilis

Legend
The Intelligence stat represents a character’s memory and deductive reasoning ability.

They’re not more capable of learning than any other race. They’re fast learners. Necessarily so due to their short lifespans relative to the other races.

Memory and deductive reasoning are both components of learning, unless my pedagogy teacher was lying to me.

Orcs, tieflings and dragonborn have lifespans equal to humans yet are not as fast as learning. Perhaps they are unmotivated or incapable of learning at the speed humans are?

You cannot justify humans having an extra skill in any way that doesn't border on phrenology. It is easily as problematic if not more so than dwarves with tools or giffs with guns.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Memory and deductive reasoning are both components of learning, unless my pedagogy teacher was lying to me.

Orcs, tieflings and dragonborn have lifespans equal to humans yet are not as fast as learning. Perhaps they are unmotivated or incapable of learning at the speed humans are?

You cannot justify humans having an extra skill in any way that doesn't border on phrenology. It is easily as problematic if not more so than dwarves with tools or giffs with guns.
The human ability doesn't claim that it came from the gods. I think that's the crux of the issue here.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

🤷‍♀️ Ok, then don’t give humans an extra skill. I don’t particularly care.

Remove ads