Book of Lost Spells On Sale Now

It's out? Cool! And now I'm *really* nervous! :) Cheers!

Ricochet

Explorer
Holy crap that's a lot of new spells! Makes me curious about game balance, but I'm looking forward to reading through it at some point.

Anyone notice power creep when compared to the PHB? Some commented in this thread about the spells being fairly low-power, which I take as an encouraging sign of the opposite.

beej

Explorer
This is interesting for me.

As a DM, the idea of leaving a spellbook with spells that are not in the core books after defeating the NPC archmage is something I'd like the party wizard to experience. Ditto for deep prayers for enlightenment for clerics, etc etc. Basically I like 3PP spells as a reward.

* Rangers getting spells to enhance their animal companion

As a player, though, my halfling ranger with a pteranodon animal companion is giddy with this development.

Nebulous

Legend
They note that anything that detects alignment is a distinct change from the core rules, and to use that with extreme caution. I haven't seen anything that seems particularly broken, but i haven't used in any play yet. Power creep could definitely be there. It probably is, but I wouldn't allow access to these spells as a free-for-all. They'll just be carefully sprinkled after consideration. My wizard player is particularly happy about having more options though.

Holy crap that's a lot of new spells! Makes me curious about game balance, but I'm looking forward to reading through it at some point.

Anyone notice power creep when compared to the PHB? Some commented in this thread about the spells being fairly low-power, which I take as an encouraging sign of the opposite.

It's hard to say, because PHB spells are all over the place in terms of power. There are definitely powerful high-level spell effects, much better than PHB spells like (The Excellent) Prismatic Spray, but are they better than Wishing for Planar Binding or Simulacrum? No. Are they more abusable than Anti-life Shell or Leomund's Tiny Hut? Also no.

Adding these spells won't necessarily increase the ceiling on the power of spell options (although I'm still reading) but it will definitely increase the number of options which are somewhere in the vicinity of that ceiling. That's not power creep per se, but it's something to be aware of, and it's probably why the forward cautions you to be judicious about which ones you introduce.

Steven Winter

Explorer
My players got their first taste of it a few nights ago, when I handed them an NPC character sheet containing a lost spell. Their reaction was, "whoa, the necromancer is teaching his acolytes spells we've never heard of? This guy might be scarier than we thought."

Steve

HarrisonF

Explorer

From reviewing the low-level spells, I don't see anything that is obviously broken. Caustic Spittle is the closest one, but I suspect it will end up killing a bunch of wizards as well.

Some of the high level spells are really crazy, but again, high level spells are pretty crazy anyways so I'm OK with that. Most of these would end up being plot level, campaign defining spells. For example, Creation's Fury allows a druid to destroy entire mountains or lakes, but then prevents other spells from being cast for 30 days. Quicken Assassin allows you to replace someone with an exact duplicate you control. Examples given in the spell include replacing a ruler with a duplicate you control.

The only concern I have with power level is how it relates to Concentration. There are some buff-type spells that do not require concentration. Examples include a few of the Heraldric shield spells and a few of the luck spells (Bead of Luck, Iron Core). Most of them are relatively low powered compared to the required spell level, but the fact they don't require concentration is big. I think Iron Core is the most concerning to me since it basically gives advantage on saving throws for 5 times in a day.

Matau99

Explorer
Hello!
I just bought the PDF version of the book, and it is amazing! I love it so much!
However, where should we report errors? One I found was on page 114, under Spiritbreaker, "If the creature refuses and you continue the spell, it is eventually banisehd to its plane of origin."
I assume you meant to say banished.

Again, I love the book, I just thought I'd share the typo I found.

EDIT: Also, on Page 5, you forgot to close the Bard spell level 2, and you accidentally capitalized the I in Harmonic Discord as this: "Harmonic DIscord".

Last edited by a moderator:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
My players got their first taste of it a few nights ago, when I handed them an NPC character sheet containing a lost spell. Their reaction was, "whoa, the necromancer is teaching his acolytes spells we've never heard of? This guy might be scarier than we thought."

Steve

Which spell, Steve?

Cheers!

Remove ads

Remove ads