D&D 5E Book of Many Things pre order up.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes, but I think the deck is a holdover from an older playstyle that lots of groups nowadays (remember, nearly all D&D players are new with this edition) don't click with.

I think the older deck is probably best used in OSR games. Since WotC didn't remove it from 5E (expecting the audience to mostly be grognards), toning it down makes sense. I would probably put a toned-down version of it in the 2024 DMG as well, and let the people playing OSE and Labyrinth Lord use the old school deck.
It seems that the point of doing a full book aboitnitnisnto facilitate both styles, and provide out of the box options if the de k does detail the game (like a map of where the player is warped to).

Kurotowa

Legend
They have hinted at the book having advise on throwing a slightly controlled version or the deck into play (stacking the deck, basically).
The official website preview talks about substituting alternative cards into the deck for "curated chaos". So I think the intent is less about making it controlled, and more about trading out the most extreme and campaign derailing results (both good and bad) for more scaled back effects. Which I think I'd be okay with.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The official website preview talks about substituting alternative cards into the deck for "curated chaos". So I think the intent is less about making it controlled, and more about trading out the most extreme and campaign derailing results (both good and bad) for more scaled back effects. Which I think I'd be okay with.
Probably also Level appropriate stuff, so you can give a low level select deck to a Level 6 party, another to a Level 12 party, sort of thing.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, here are the photos of the prodict from GenCon, thanks to Nerd Immersion, reconfirmedfrom his Tweets that the book will have multiple configurations of thr Dwck gor dofferent purposes:

F2tNBOkXAAYimnQ.jpeg
F2tNu1PXAAU56Ry.jpeg
F2tQKHEXAA4_inz.jpeg
F2tQR1RXAAw05jR (1).jpeg
F2tQq6yXAAEVrXG.jpeg
F2tRMFcXAAIxVN-.jpeg
F2tShVhXAAExVdt (1).jpeg
F2tStr2XAAo1Qsc (1).jpeg
F2tTIzlXAAA_os5 (1).jpeg
F2tUIakXAAon5Kp (1).jpeg
F2tUM2vWYAAixoc (1).jpeg
F2tUZkmXABgpbCC.jpeg

Attachments

• F2tQKHEXAA4_inz (1).jpeg
    F2tQKHEXAA4_inz (1).jpeg
    469 KB · Views: 27

R_J_K75

Legend
So, here are the photos of the prodict from GenCon, thanks to Nerd Immersion, reconfirmedfrom his Tweets that the book will have multiple configurations of thr Dwck gor dofferent purposes:

View attachment 309470View attachment 309471View attachment 309472View attachment 309473View attachment 309475View attachment 309476View attachment 309477View attachment 309478View attachment 309482View attachment 309483View attachment 309484View attachment 309485
I find it odd that the one card is called the Mage as it hasnt been used since 2E iirc. Good to see they are drinking responsibly...Diet Coke

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I find it odd that the one card is called the Mage as it hasnt been used since 2E iirc. Good to see they are drinking responsibly...Diet Coke
There is a Mage, an Expert, a Warruor and a Priest. Probsvly from the abandoned One D&D categories based on 2E. Apparently the book details multiple options for a lot of the cards, such as three different fiends for the Flame.

R_J_K75

Legend
Yes, but I think the deck is a holdover from an older playstyle that lots of groups nowadays (remember, nearly all D&D players are new with this edition) don't click with.

I think the older deck is probably best used in OSR games. Since WotC didn't remove it from 5E (expecting the audience to mostly be grognards), toning it down makes sense. I would probably put a toned-down version of it in the 2024 DMG as well, and let the people playing OSE and Labyrinth Lord use the old school deck.
True the game needs to evolve otherwise what's the point of ever making a new edition? I just wish that at the very least that the game had some guidelines to make it more deadly if that's the style you want. Seeing as in they kept the original 22 cards, assuming they aren't too nerfed it should be easy enough to get that if you wanted, even if not I can always do the work myself.

R_J_K75

Legend
There is a Mage, an Expert, a Warruor and a Priest. Probsvly from the abandoned One D&D categories based on 2E. Apparently the book details multiple options for a lot of the cards, such as three different fiends for the Flame.
I haven't read the UA OneD&D docs too closely, so I don't remember.

Remove ads