D&D 5E Book of Many Things pre order up.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Missing the point. This product is designed to be A CHRISTMAS GIFT. Therefore it's deliberately not something you would buy for yourself, it's something someone would buy for someone else (confident that it's too expensive and frivolous for them to already own it).

It's comparable to a fancy box of chocolates with elaborate packaging. You don't buy that for yourself, you buy yourself a bar of Fruit and Nut.
WotC is thrilled to market products as gift sets -- like they did with the slipcased set of supplements last winter -- but isn't doing it this time around.

"It's not overpriced: It's supposed to be too expensive to for you to buy" is real pretzel logic.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Sorry, getting all these threads confused about different threads, that comes from their GenCon presentation, the hardcover ha all the D&D info, bit the 80 page softcover jas info on how tonphysically use the cards. major points:

• 50+ magic items (more than any book since the DMG)
  • 30+ new Monsters
  • locations and maps for many of the 66 cards
  • fluff about the cosmic Fates behind the cards
  • advice on ways to use the stuff in a game
a system to use the cards to build a whole Adventure procedurally
Having little booklets with Tarot cards is apparently a standard expectation for Tarot cards. The Hit Point Press one does the same thing (their stretch goals will apparently be PDF-only, unless a later stretch goal appears to bundle them together in physical form).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think we've all made this mistake. Now, I think the deck has to be the focal point of an adventure, or even a whole campaign, because of its potential to badly derail proceedings.
They have hinted at the book having advise on throwing a slightly controlled version or the deck into play (stacking the deck, basically).

R_J_K75

Legend
(stacking the deck, basically)
Where's the fun in that, kind of removes the point of the magic item IMO? I suppose that depends on the type of game you want to run and what the additional new cards are. If there's a chance of great gain, there should also be the chance of something extremely bad happening as well. I know a lot of players don't like the idea of having their character killed by a single failed save or bad dice roll but to me that just adds to the tension and suspense.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Where's the fun in that, kind of removes the point of the magic item IMO? I suppose that depends on the type of game you want to run and what the additional new cards are. If there's a chance of great gain, there should also be the chance of something extremely bad happening as well. I know a lot of players don't like the idea of having their character killed by a single failed save or bad dice roll but to me that just adds to the tension and suspense.
What they said was "alternate configutations", so it's possible to get a still random but less derailing set-up, but also probably even more random is an option.

R_J_K75

Legend
What they said was "alternate configutations", so it's possible to get a still random but less derailing set-up, but also probably even more random is an option.
I wouldn't be surprised if the book offers adventure hooks and suggestions on how to use the deck in a campaign without the PC's ever getting a chance to use it. For example, having to deal with the repercussions of someone else using it that has an effect on the campaign world.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wouldn't be surprised if the book offers adventure hooks and suggestions on how to use the deck in a campaign without the PC's ever getting a chance to use it. For example, having to deal with the repercussions of someone else using it that has an effect on the campaign world.
Yeah, ornusing the 30+ Mosnters as Monsters, or the detailed locations (like the Donjon is fully mapped, apparently), with the themes and such.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yes, but I think the deck is a holdover from an older playstyle that lots of groups nowadays (remember, nearly all D&D players are new with this edition) don't click with.

I think the older deck is probably best used in OSR games. Since WotC didn't remove it from 5E (expecting the audience to mostly be grognards), toning it down makes sense. I would probably put a toned-down version of it in the 2024 DMG as well, and let the people playing OSE and Labyrinth Lord use the old school deck.

Remove ads