D&D 5E Book of Many Things pre order up.

I don't think I'm missing the point, I know I wouldn't spend $99 on this, whether if it's for myself or someone else. Saying this is meant to be specifically a CHRISTMAS GIFT is a bit of a stretch, and BTW I don't celebrate CHRISTMAS.
The point is, you are not the target market for this product!

I don't understand why people get so worked up about that. It's like saying Hasbro has no right to make Hungry Hungry Hippos or Beyblades because you don't want them.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who do celebrate Christmas and have $99 they want to spend on someone who plays D&D.

The thing about Christmas gifts is people buy them because they are expensive. Just look at how much a fancy bottle full of smelly water costs!

mamba

Legend
Missing the point. This product is designed to be A CHRISTMAS GIFT. Therefore it's deliberately not something you would buy for yourself, it's something someone would buy for someone else (confident that it's too expensive and frivolous for them to already own it).
that sounds more like WotC is missing how most of their D&D products are being sold… I doubt christmas gifts are their core market

Alternatively you wait for two months and pick it up for 40-50% off on Amazon…

Parmandur

Book-Friend
$99 is more than I'm willing to spend. I don't like the fact that a deck of 66 cards that I'll never use is most likely driving up the price. Seems like prices went from ~$40 a book to $70-$100 a book/slip case in a very short amount of time. I'd prefer if they offered the book and cards separately, people that want it can buy them both, but don't make me buy both if I don't want them.
The price went from a MSRP of $50 per hardcover to $60 after 9 years (though it's pretty easy to get the books for less than MSRP, just as it will be possible to get this for less than MSRP). That is lagging behind behind inflation, so a $60 book today is actually cheaper than a $50 book was in 2014.

The cost here is $60 for the book and $40 for the deck, which isn't even high for a deck of cards WotC sells. New Magic decks are frequently more than $40 these days.

R_J_K75

Legend
The price went from a MSRP of $50 per hardcover to $60 after 9 years (though it's pretty easy to get the books for less than MSRP, just as it will be possible to get this for less than MSRP). That is lagging behind behind inflation, so a $60 book today is actually cheaper than a $50 book was in 2014.
I agree with this price increase and have no problem with it.
The cost here is $60 for the book and $40 for the deck, which isn't even high for a deck of cards WotC sells. New Magic decks are frequently more than $40 these days.
Im not one to use props aside from extremely rare occasions. I can only remember two times in the entire time I've played D&D/RPGS, which is 40 years. In all the times I've played Ravenloft I never once used the Taroka decks. This is actually one of the books I was considering buying but not at this price with 1/3 of the product being something I know I wont use.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Im not one to use props aside from extremely rare occasions. I can only remember two times in the entire time I've played D&D/RPGS, which is 40 years. In all the times I've played Ravenloft I never once used the Taroka decks. This is actually one of the books I was considering buying but not at this price with 1/3 of the product being something I know I wont use.
And that's fair. The point here seems to be to make the deck more than am in-game prompt: the side booklet has tables tonhelpnuse the cards to build an Adventure and Dungeon procedurally, for example. Making this more of a versatile prep and gameplaybtool, potentially.

Clint_L

Hero
$99 is more than I'm willing to spend. I don't like the fact that a deck of 66 cards that I'll never use is most likely driving up the price. Seems like prices went from ~$40 a book to $70-$100 a book/slip case in a very short amount of time. I'd prefer if they offered the book and cards separately, people that want it can buy them both, but don't make me buy both if I don't want them.
In separate threads we currently have people speculating that the low price of WotC books means that WotC is struggling, and complaining that the high cost of WotC books means that they are gouging.

My perspective is different. I collect miniatures and terrain for D&D, so the cost of books, print or digital, is basically a rounding error. The entertainment to cost ratio on them is fantastic.

R_J_K75

Legend
Just as a sample of a couple of upcomijg card decks going forn $40+ a piece, from my FLGS:
TBoMT deck seems priced in line with other products of its type.
The point here seems to be to make the deck more than am in-game prompt: the side booklet has tables tonhelpnuse the cards to build an Adventure and Dungeon procedurally, for example. Making this more of a versatile prep and gameplaybtool, potentially.
I was not aware that the deck included a side booklet. How I missed this in the product description is beyond me, oops. I've used the Deck of Many Things a lot in campaigns to varying results, usually bad, so this might actually be worth the money, as you said I'll wait a few months until the price drops and maybe buy it then.

"The Deck of Many Things Card Reference Guide (80-page hardcover)—Deck guidebook showcasing each card in the expanded deck and a variety of ways the deck can be used"

Remove ads