• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Book of Many Things pre order up.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
But let's imagine they orisuced three options inst3ad of two: box set, digital book only and print only. How many in the "already have a deck of cards" population would pick C over B? I would wager, not enough to make offering C viable.
Do we know how much more it would cost them to offer it separately?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Also worth noting, last year they did produce a hardcover and box set hybrid in Dragonlance that did all three: boardgames with the book innit hardcover book by itself, and digital only book. Might be they learned a lesson by he numbers, at least those Bookscan numbers we have just cover the hardcover by itself and were relatively anemic.

Dire Bare

Legend
Of course not. None of us KNOW how much offering two or three versions of the product would cost WotC vs how much extra revenue it would generate.

But . . . WotC probably has a pretty good idea. They decided one product, book and deck together, was the best way to go. Makes sense to me.

Offering two or three versions would definitely increase costs and customer confusion on the retail shelves. WotC doesn't sell direct like HPP does, so offering separate books and decks online doesn't work. The extra risk isn't worth the expected return.

I mean, I'm sure you're not alone in wanting just the book. There are folks who probably would just want the deck. Your preferences are fine, but . . . you're acting like WotC is committing high crimes against the fandom here with how they decided to release this product.

Like many fans, you are conflating what you want with what is best for the game. And that's why you are getting pushback on the forums here.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
But . . . WotC probably has a pretty good idea. They decided one product, book and deck together, was the best way to go. Makes sense to me.
Given the past 12 months in WotC, this feels optimistic. We are not even 12 months past "needs more monetization!" Creating a high physical media price point would fit into that nicely.

But I don't know for sure. You don't know for sure. 🤷‍♂️
Like many fans, you are conflating what you want with what is best for the game. And that's why you are getting pushback on the forums here.
You are the only person who seems to be taking it personally that I am unhappy about this. If you secretly work for WotC, I would much rather talk to you about what halflings will look like in the 2024 core books. Otherwise, just ignore my posts on this or, if you can't swing that, just slap me on ignore. I'm not doing this to upset you.

And I don't think bundling the deck or not bundling the deck is "good for the game." Neither one of those is true. It's certainly better for quarterly earnings.

I care a lot less about this than you think. But as one of the few people who has been jonesing for this book since it was announced -- run a search on the forums here -- I reserve the right to sadly drift back to Earth after my initial high when this was announced.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Is there actual data for this?
Is there actual data for the idea that people who are interested in the Deck of Many Things are the people to have most likely purchased a Deck of Many Things product?

It's probably in the same place where they keep the data showing that people who like Dr. Pepper are the people who are most likely to purchase Dr. Pepper and the people who like spicy food are the ones most likely to buy hot sauce.

Remove ads