• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Book of Many Things pre order up.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ugh, following in the footsteps of WotC deciding to give the Deck of Many Things an origin and insisting you cannot get the Book of Many Things without buying the deck of cards as well (seriously, Etsy's many choices for the deck are great, people), Hit Point Press is doing the same thing with a new Kickstarter campaign.

Their version includes a whole second shadow deck, with a different set of meanings attached to a monochrome version of their color cards. There's also 5E crunch to go with it, and more unlockable as stretch goals.

This is probably better, IMO, than WotC's approach as these are the SRD cards and thus can be used with lots of other games, whereas the 5E deck includes cards that don't correlate to versions of the deck in Pathfinder or other games.

That said, Hit Point Press is years overdue on both Heckna and Hexbound, so who knows if the Fablemaker's Deck of Many Things will see the light of day before 7th Edition D&D hits stores.

Ugh, following in the footsteps of WotC deciding to give the Deck of Many Things an origin and insisting you cannot get the Book of Many Things without buying the deck of cards as well (seriously, Etsy's many choices for the deck are great, people), Hit Point Press is doing the same thing with a new Kickstarter campaign.

Their version includes a whole second shadow deck, with a different set of meanings attached to a monochrome version of their color cards. There's also 5E crunch to go with it, and more unlockable as stretch goals.

This is probably better, IMO, than WotC's approach as these are the SRD cards and thus can be used with lots of other games, whereas the 5E deck includes cards that don't correlate to versions of the deck in Pathfinder or other games.

That said, Hit Point Press is years overdue on both Heckna and Hexbound, so who knows if the Fablemaker's Deck of Many Things will see the light of day before 7th Edition D&D hits stores.
You can buy the book without buying the Card set.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In physical form? Last I saw, it was only available with the cards.
Pretty sure he means on Beyond. Which, the venn overlap of people who don't also want the cards woth people who would like to save some money by getting the digital version is, I would imagine, extremely high. Most of the people who may poasivly want to buy this won't have gotten another set already.

Dire Bare

Legend

Why would WotC offer the book and cards separately? For the three people who want just one or the other?

I exaggerate somewhat, but . . . I really doubt the folks who would just purchase one or the other is high enough to justify two to three SKU's for this release.

And Hit Point Press . . . um, you totally can purchase either just the deck or just the guidebook separately thru the Kickstarter. Pledge for $1 and order what you want as add-ons.

EDIT: Looks like either I misread or the Kickstarter page is unclear. The main page implies ALL tiers are eligible for ALL add-ons, but the details and FAQ pages show that only physical tiers are eligible for all add-ons. Meaning you DO have to buy at least the basic physical deck at $25 to add-on the physical guidebook. However, HPP does sell their existing Animated Tarot deck and book separately on their website, and it's likely they will do so with the new Deck of Many Things.

And . . . thanks for complaining about this AGAIN, because I wasn't interested in the Fablemaker's Deck of Many Things before, but WOW, I am really impressed with their offerings and how they are structuring the Kickstarter. I just might go for the animated tarot deck, because that looks super neat.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
And . . . thanks for complaining about this AGAIN, because I wasn't interested in the Fablemaker's Deck of Many Things before, but WOW, I am really impressed with their offerings and how they are structuring the Kickstarter. I just might go for the animated tarot deck, because that looks super neat.
Happy to help.

I do recommend looking at how Hit Point Press' past Kickstarters actually work out, particularly Heckna and Hexbound. Take their delivery timelines with an enormous grain of salt.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That doesn't follow at all. The people who are most interested in the Deck of Many Things are precisely the people who are most likely to have bought one of the sets on Etsy or elsewhere.
But let's imagine they orisuced three options inst3ad of two: box set, digital book only and print only. How many in the "already have a deck of cards" population would pick C over B? I would wager, not enough to make offering C viable.

Remove ads