Book of NPCs

Paul Strack

First Post
Here is my project for the 2008 holiday season: a book of ready-to-play NPCs using Monster Manual style stat blocks.

Downloads - D&D 4th Edition - Book of NPCs - EN World D&D / RPG News

This is the file that I originally mentioned in this post, which includes a sample file if you don't want to download the whole thing:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-4th-edition-rules/247385-pre-made-npcs.html#post4602416

The current version (1.0.3) has 17 builds for 24 races, levels 1-30. That's over 4000 characters. It includes all the classes in the Player's Handbook, as well as all the races in the Player's Handbook plus the Monster Manual "Racial Traits" section.

If folks are interested, I have several ideas for other books:

1) NPC builds based on Martial Power.

2) Elite NPCs based on Paragon paths.

I'd also appreciate some feedback on the file format, as well as the builds themselves and any typos that folks notice.

[Update] The version 1.0.3 marks the content as OGL.

Last edited:

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
I like everything I've read through so far, and haven't noticed any problems.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a 4e site like the NPC Wiki for d20/Modern/D&D 3.5. Is this because of the GSL Fan-site issues (are there any?)? If not, work on something like that should be done, because your NPCs here would be a great kick-off for such a site.

CapnZapp

Legend
Wow. That's so useful!

Edit: No wonder, considering you've gone ahead and created exactly what I asked for in that other thread...

I would especially like to congratulate you on your format choices. Low-tech HTML works wonderfully (and makes grabbing your local copy a no-brainer), especially with your useful interlinking... An instant classic that deserves a web site of its own!

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Afterthought:

I sincerely hope ENWorld (and Wizards) can see that the utility of this tool far exceeds any content copyright concerns: having this as a free add-on to those DMG pages (pp187-188) just makes the book that much more valuable to have...! :)

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Holy crap, this is awesome.

If I could give you XP multiple times for the same post, I would. This is super useful.

-- 77IM

Paul Strack

First Post
I am pretty confident that the content of the Book of NPCs is allowed under the GSL, which does let you re-print stat blocks if you apply mathematical changes them.

I am equally sure that the code I used to produce the NPCs is not allowed by the GSL, since character creation software is explicitly forbidden. That's why I am providing finished stat blocks instead of a program to produce them (that, and the fact that I am to lazy to produce a user-friendly version or one that covers all the powers).

CapnZapp

Legend
I think you are perfectly justified posting the output only, and not the generator.

You have already added in the builds variations of each class (with different power selections for each), which is more than we could have asked for!

Not having every concievable power combination on top of that is an advantage, not a disadvantage. :)

PS. What does "which does let you re-print stat blocks if you apply mathematical changes them" mean? Do you mean you had an ulterior motive for adding in those houserules?

Paul Strack

First Post
PS. What does "which does let you re-print stat blocks if you apply mathematical changes them" mean? Do you mean you had an ulterior motive for adding in those houserules?

No, the house rules are just for balancing.

The wizard's GSL says that if you apply existing rules to a stat block (like applying a template to a monster) which make mathematical modifications to that stat block, then you can re-print it. The GSL explicitly forbids re-printing stat blocks "as is".

I am waiting for the new GSL version which is supposed to be out in January before I decide whether I want to apply a license to the book, though.

erf_beto

First Post
My god, sir! :O
This is even better than what I was doing (one npc per build, levels 2, 6 and 10 - wich is when you have an "all new" power selection). For once, I'm grateful I'm so very slow!
Well done!

mrlaurie

First Post
Excellent Resource for DM's

I will certainly be using these NPC's and would be happy to see them extended to 30th level, and to additional builds. Your work is much appreciated and is a strong contribution to the community.

Remove ads