• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of Vile Darkness. Used it?

DragonLancer

Adventurer
As DM I've used a couple of the demons from the book, one or two PrC's, a handful of spells and vile damage. I did run a one-shot evil adventure for my group and let them use the book which they greatly enjoyed.

Overall though, I think its a good book but it feels far too full of optional rules rather than good solid information on the nature of evil in D&D.

ruleslawyer

Joshua Dyal said:
There was a good one in Dragon a little while back -- I think it was the issue (or within a few months of it) that the Death Knights template showed up in the LGJ portion of the rag. I mean mag. Sorry, sorry. ;)
That's the one I like best, too. I don't think it is the Death Knight issue, since I don't have that one, but it's somewhere around issue 290.

Otherwise, the pic in the D&D Immortals boxed set is my fave.

Felon

First Post
I like the BoVD mainly for its usefulness as an idea mine. Most of the stuff in the book isn't particularly powerful. For all of their gruesomeness, the spells are in many cases just weaker counterparts of PHB spells--Clutch of Orcus, Hellfire, and Rapture of Rupture are way more bark than bite.

Vile damage is nifty too, until PC's start realizing it just means that the clerics need to start memorizing Consecrate.

Don't find too many of the monsters useful, although I'm going to work kythons into my campaign somehow.

I can tell you from experience it's a GREAT companion for Monte's mega-adventure, The Banewarrens. I used the corrupted template for many of the creatures locked within the vaults, and of course the various evil magic items and artifacts need to be contained somewhere, right?

the Jester

Legend
I've used a fair amount of stuff- I had an aerial servant (ToH) mortal hunter (BoVD), and boy was he rough on the party! I also used the Warrior of Darkness prc for a villain in a low-magic setting, and have tossed out a few of the spells, monsters, etc.

Overall, I think it's great- I'll prolly use most/all of it eventually. Possession, oooh! :D

DragonLancer

Adventurer
the Jester said:
Overall, I think it's great- I'll prolly use most/all of it eventually. Possession, oooh! :D

Yes, I used possession a couple times, but I changed it so that it is a racial ability for demons, devils and daemons (Yugoloths).

Mercule

Adventurer
Yes, possession looks quite nice. :D

I haven't had a chance to use any of it yet (been playing, not DMing), but I'm sure I will use quite a bit. Demogorgon has been important to my game since 1E. And most of my plots tend to involve supernatural evil moreso than just trecherous nobles and the like.

Remove ads