Books everyone seems to love, but you just can't

TheSword

Legend
The shannara TV series was a disaster for existing fans. They tried too hard to focus on making an appeal to teens, and threw out any semblance to the stories from the books.
Yes, it was quite painful to watch. I’d only read the elf stones books as a teen so I was hoping it would be good. It came across very badly so I hope it wasn’t based on a book. Far too much angst and broken hearts/petty revenge for my liking.

GreyLord

Legend
If someone had tried writing the bible today, would any serious publishing house touch it with a 10' pole? I think the only way it would get published in the current form would be self-publishing. ;)

I mean the beginning has two different versions, then a bunch of chapters in the middle that tell the same story from different pov's. The main characters are either way overpowered, or totally incompetent (wandering around for 40 years in the desert). Sometimes the same character falls into both categories, like you have multiple authors . And it suffers from extremely bad editing, with a bad plot, and unbelievable characters (humans living for 900 years)...
Depends on how recently you consider today.

There have been some attempts, the most famous being the Silmarillion.

It has a different style of writing, but similar idea.

AS RPG players I think we've seen half a dozen attempts with RPG worlds. Half the sourcebooks out there try to explain the creation of their world and the history of their mythology behind it.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Depends on how recently you consider today.

There have been some attempts, the most famous being the Silmarillion.

It has a different style of writing, but similar idea.

AS RPG players I think we've seen half a dozen attempts with RPG worlds. Half the sourcebooks out there try to explain the creation of their world and the history of their mythology behind it.
And they are usually MUCH better written. ;)

Remove ads