Books everyone seems to love, but you just can't

Zardnaar

Legend
Dark Sun. Never could get into the feel of it. We played once and could only have a rock and piece of bone to defend myself with. Then one broke and I had to use a goblin weapon, which would have been so humiliating, but I was only a bald half-dwarf, so it was not that bad. I was told that was part of the fun, which it wasn't.

Maybe next year's release of the new 5e Dark Sun will be better.

Damn you had a piece of bone. Generous dark sun game;).

Think we started as slaves with a loincloth.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Wheel of Time. Gave up book 7 iirc.

I have this weird dissonance between the idea of "I just can't get into them" but reading through seven books. It took nearly 6000 pages to figure out you didn't really like it?

I can't seem to work up any enthusiasm for Ready Player One. However well-targetted the book is for me, the flaws so thoroughly overwhelm whatever pleasure there may be found in the work.

GreyLord

Legend
People seem to love Stephen King. I've read a few of his books, but they just seem to lack something to me. They just don't seem fulfilling or enjoyable.

I am about to finish the Wheel of Time, but I can understand everyone that talks about how they stopped reading. Book 1-3 move quickly and are fun. Book 4 starts to slow down, and book 5 starts to get more of a slog. However, none of them compare to what happens when you hit book 8, 9, and 10. Those books just about sunk my goal of getting through the Book series this time around. The series starts off quick and then just moves slower and slower and slower each book around. Finally, it starts to speed up again, but I think those middle books kill off a LOT of readers.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
The city of brass, I love the premise and honestly the first third is superb, but when they get to the aforementioned city it just becomes something else entirely. I gave up soon after

Sacrosanct

Legend
Harry Potter: enjoyed the first three, quite liked the fourth, thought the fifth was a complete waste of time. Never got round to the last two. (Never watched the last two movies either.)
Dune. I've tried again and again to get into it, but I can't get beyond the first fifty pages.
Guy Gavriel Kay, Brian Sanderson. Wheel of Time also went downhill quickly after the fourth book, and I gave up a hundred pages into the tenth.
And Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms always creep me out, with all the impossibly beautiful young women spending lots of naked time with his ancient author avatar.
I made it through the first 4 Harry Potter books, but stopped after that. Just lost interest and wanted to read other books instead.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
A lot of people rave about the Thomas Covenant series. So I read Lord Foul's Bane. I forced myself through it to see if it would ever pull me in but the protagonist was so irritating, I couldn't pick up another book in the series.
People here are talking about dropping out in the 5th Harry Potter - but Covenant is a far more annoying and despicable character than Harry acting as a petulant (and developmentally appropriate) teen.

Remove ads