• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Books that up stats

Magic Rub

First Post
Artoomis said:
In addition to all of the above:

The MAXIMUM inherent bonus you may have to an ability score (that's the kind from books and wishes) is +5. This is unalterable by any means short of the DM making up his own, non d20-compliant rules.

In addition to all of the above, maximum item or "enchantment bonus" is +6. By item I mean such as girdle of giants strength, or an Ion stone.

Artoomis

First Post
Magic Rub said:

In addition to all of the above, maximum item or "enchantment bonus" is +6. By item I mean such as girdle of giants strength, or an Ion stone.

Right. That's an "enhancement bonus."

You can be enhanced up to +6 (from any source(s) - +6 is the total).

You can have an "inherent" bonus up to +5 (from any soucre(s), as above)

Generally, at least, that it, I think. I'd have to check in the rules, but I think no other bonuses (luck, etc.) are supposed to apply to ability scores.

Gromm

First Post
Artoomis said:
In addition to all of the above:

The MAXIMUM inherent bonus you may have to an ability score (that's the kind from books and wishes) is +5. This is unalterable by any means short of the DM making up his own, non d20-compliant rules.

LOL, I can't believe I missed the easiest answer of all.
Course this DM will probably just Rule 0 that there is no inherent bonus limit, or he'll wish for a higher inherent bonus.
I'd like to see the wording on THAT wish. Be awfully hard to do without talking in game terms.

Last edited:

gamecat

Explorer
Well, boils and ghouls, I am this dm being burnt in effigy. The Flaming Rheo speaks clearly out of his ass with remarkable proficency. I turn you to my points:

* Books have been given out? That's news to me!

* At 16th caster level, I can cast wish?!? That's neat!

Now I did suggest this lambasted house rule a while ago after reading a thread on a guy with a book and a wish, but what is good for the goose is good for the gander, and my character, if he could cast wish, and we had the aforementioned books, would wish everyone double effectivness for everyone's book. We play a way over-the-top game, with the bad guys over the top as well. Call it "extreme roll-playing". I have been maligned.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
TheFlamingRheo said:
You fat insolent son ofa ***** you said that as a joke and I was just telling these nice people that you are one of the most munchey DMs out there and if you don't shut up soon I will be forced to criticize every last post you make.

Not on this list. If it's personal, take it off list please.

TheFlamingRheo

First Post
But it is part of the list you see I stated that he munched, as the starter of this thread and then he again redoes his thoughts and posts something that makes me look like an idiot.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
TheFlamingRheo said:
But it is part of the list you see I stated that he munched, as the starter of this thread and then he again redoes his thoughts and posts something that makes me look like an idiot.

No, stating that you are going to follow him around and criticize all his posts, and calling him names are all personal attacks.

Take it off list, or the moderators will step in. Don't say you weren't warned.

hong

WotC's bitch
PS. to gamecat and rheo, both: knock off the cutesy colours, please. If you want your posts to stand out, write interesting stuff that people want to read.

Remove ads