• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Books that up stats

TheFlamingRheo

First Post
My Dm plays a character in his own game, and a little while back he dropped a set of the books that up a specific sta by five and after we all read our books he decides to cast wish and ask that his book be doubly effective for him, thus a plus 10 to his stat. Is this a legal use for a wish. And please no, "He is the DM of his game and he can bend the rules however he likes."

Werdnam

First Post
Personally, I think this is a blatant abuse of the power of wish. It's been said before that it takes 5 wishes in rapid succession to grant one a +5 inherent bonus to a stat. Thus, using one wish to effectively grant oneself a +5 inherent bonus to a stat (actually, to do better than that) isn't right.

Aside from that, it appears your DM is favoring the character he plays, a big no-no.

I don't know what you can do about it, though.

Valicor

First Post
Simply put, he's Wrong & yoru Right.

Tell him about the aoutn fo wishes it takes ot raise a stat, also if i'm not mistaken you can only have up to a +5 inhert bonus?

Gromm

First Post
Werdnam said:
Personally, I think this is a blatant abuse of the power of wish. It's been said before that it takes 5 wishes in rapid succession to grant one a +5 inherent bonus to a stat. Thus, using one wish to effectively grant oneself a +5 inherent bonus to a stat (actually, to do better than that) isn't right.

Aside from that, it appears your DM is favoring the character he plays, a big no-no.

I don't know what you can do about it, though.

Not to mentiong the Books and Wish grant the same bonus.
Reading a +5 book is exactly like casting 5 wishes in a row. You couldn't wish to double the effect of a wish (like I wish the next wish I wished was twice as effective, I wish that the next wish was twice as effective again, I wish I was stronger- for some bizzare +4 bonus).

You're right. Have your DM read the books (you'd be astounded how many DMs don't know even the simplest rules of the game), or try to find a replacement. At the very least get him to stop playing a character. I can already see this guy getting a +5 Vorpal Greatsword, while the rest of you poor saps get his hand-me-downs.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
insanechemist said:
My Dm plays a character in his own game, and a little while back he dropped a set of the books that up a specific sta by five and after we all read our books he decides to cast wish and ask that his book be doubly effective for him, thus a plus 10 to his stat. Is this a legal use for a wish. And please no, "He is the DM of his game and he can bend the rules however he likes."

I weep for you. :( Too bad you don't live in DFW.

Don21584

First Post
"and after we all read our books"

Just so you know, that's not legal by the rules either. Only one person can read the book and the writing in it disappears once its read.

Arravis

First Post
In my opinion, those books are EXTREMELY rare. I loathe DM's that hand them out like candy. ugh.

And that is a blatant abuse of power btw. Did this guy read the DMG? Perhaps he knows, but doesn't care.

I'm one of two DM's in our campaign, we both play characters as well (we take turns DM'ing). His character and mine are by far the least wealthy and least "itemed" in the party. It might be a bit unfair for us to "cheat" ourselves out of items, but we don't want even the appearance of inpropriety.

DM'ing and playing can be done, but it has to be done very carefully. Best when done by experienced players and dm's.

Last edited:

Darklone

I had a player character too in a group I DMed some time ago, since they needed extra muscles...

I didn't give him any items, the group did. Everything that could have been cursed they gave to him. He ended up with several nasty curses and the best items of the group :)

Artoomis

First Post
In addition to all of the above:

The MAXIMUM inherent bonus you may have to an ability score (that's the kind from books and wishes) is +5. This is unalterable by any means short of the DM making up his own, non d20-compliant rules.

Remove ads