D&D 5E Booming Blade and Invoke Duplicity

ECMO3

Hero
Questioning whether this works RAW. I think it does because specific beats general and the specific wording of Invoke Duplicity overides the general ruling on weapon attacks, reach and .

Relevant wording:
Invoke Duplicity:

..... For the duration, you can cast spells as though you were in the illusion's space, but you must use your own senses .....

Booming Blade:
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
You brandish the weapon used in the spell’s casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. .....

Given the underlined text you are considered to be in the illusion's space when you cast the spell, and if you are in the illusions space you can make the attack as part of casting the spell (as long as the illusion is within 5 feet of the creature).

Thoughts?

The problem with booming Blade is you "make a melee attack with [the weapon used in the spell’s casting]". You may cast spells as if in the Duplicity illusion's space but it doesn't allow you to attack with physical items as if you were in the space.

Duplicity would let you use something like Flame Blade to attack, though.

ECMO3

Hero
The problem with booming Blade is you "make a melee attack with [the weapon used in the spell’s casting]". You may cast spells as if in the Duplicity illusion's space but it doesn't allow you to attack with physical items as if you were in the space.

Duplicity would let you use something like Flame Blade to attack, though.

I would argue the melee attack is part of the spell casting as you are not using a separate action to do it and the spell specifically allows you to make that attack.

I think this is similar to how you can "touch" someone to cast Protection from good and evil on them even though you can't actually touch them from 40 feet away.

If you consider the wording of ID and replace the word "you" in the spell with "Illusion's space" -

You brandish the weapon used in the spell’s casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of the illusion's space.

I actually think the argument for attacking with flame blade is weaker. You can "cast" flame blade (or for that matter shadowblade) as if you are in the illusion's space, but the attack you make with either of these is not part of the spell's "casting". This could come into play for example if you are silenced but your duplicate isn't, the blade would appear and once that is done then the spell is done being cast. Same if you cast magic stone, your duplicate can do the casting but can't throw the stone.

Last edited:

Remove ads