• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Boots of Spider Climbing

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Oh and I realise this is good 'especially for a level 5 item'. In fact it is great IF your character already has some skill in climbing.

I was actually expecting less (but as mentioned an actual bonus to help the wizard get up the surface).

I believe a solid bonus to one part of a skill would be less powerful. I know I can just add the + to climb and probably will. I was just putting this odd situation out there (as it happened in game) and maybe others thought it strange (or know of another item I should have used - or sets such a precedent that I could add the + to boots). Obviously I don't have books with me.

Cheers, C

Jhaelen

First Post
Just change the boots. You're the DM, right? If you're fine with it and the player would rather get a bonus to his climb skill, let him have it. Looking at the level I'd say a permanent +2 bonus would be okay. Alternatively give it a daily or encounter power granting a higher bonus and/or additional effect.

Benly

First Post
Oh and I realise this is good 'especially for a level 5 item'. In fact it is great IF your character already has some skill in climbing.

The thing is that the old-school Slippers of Spider Climbing made actual skill at climbing largely redundant. One of the goals for 4E is to have your items supplement rather than replace your abilities - hence why you only get the old-style Spider Climbing once per day.

That said, as others have noted a property granting +2 to Athletics checks made to climb wouldn't be out of line as a houseruled bonus.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I am in fact thinking of letting the boots grant training in climbing. Therefore helpful to those that cannot climb already. No extra stacking for those that are trained.

In any case, there are other items that grant skill bonuses right? Sorry, don't have books with me.

C

Tale

First Post
These boots functionally double/halve the disparity between skill value and DC depending upon which benefits the user more.

They double the value of success while not changing the value of failure. Fewer needed rolls means less chance for failure.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Still very little reassurance if you are not very good at climbing. I mean one failure can be enough.

As I have stated, this character just wanted to climb 'better'. If faced with a cliff to climb down (which he was, he was no more confidet wearing boots of climbing than withouth them).

Sunglare

First Post
If your group is getting involved with lots of climbing then maybe he should take the skill training feat for climbing. After that he can take skill focus for another +3, then he'll blow the socks off everybody else when it comes to climbing.
Other items that seem to grant a bonus to atheletics are higher level and would quickly turn this item into a level 10+.
The boots seem to function as they should. I see no reason why they should increase somebodies actual skill at climbing.

I'm not sure how much climbing is going to be in your game but once a day he will be able to get out of some tough situations. There is nothing saying he can't run so he when he suses the daily part he can add a +2 to his speed. image they are in the middle of a fight and the wizard backs into a 40ft deep pit. Next round he activates his boots and runs out of the pit and is back in the fight.

Dynamic Belt level 9+ 4200gp
+2 item bonus to athletics and acrobatics checks and once per day you can reroll a skill check if you don't like the first result.

Gauntlets of orge power level 5.
Gives a +1 athletics check and once per day you can do 5 extra damage on a melee attack.

Another way to look at it is he bought himself the Sure Climber Feat without having to get the skill training.
I really dont think you should tack on the skill bonus to the boots to make the wizard feel better about his purchace. It make other items seem overpriced and devalues the other players investment in their class and the training they took.

Benly

First Post
I am in fact thinking of letting the boots grant training in climbing. Therefore helpful to those that cannot climb already. No extra stacking for those that are trained.

This seems really quite counter to how magic items are intended to work in 4E. Essentially what you're saying is that the boots can only replace your training, rather than supplementing it.

fissionessence

First Post
I have to agree with the OP that these just really don't feel like Boots of Spider Climbing. They only actually grant you the ability to stick to the wall better once per day, so maybe a better name for this item would be 'Boots of Swift Climbing.' Then the Boots of Spider Climbing name would be freed up for something that actually let a character stick to a wall like a spider.

Like the player in the OP's group, I was interested in this item by name, but when I read it I was really disappointed [and no longer interested].

~

Remove ads