Boss Monsters? I Just Say No!

The video game focus on “boss” monsters doesn’t make sense for tabletop RPGs. Video gamers are disappointed if the climactic monster doesn’t kill them several times; in RPGs, once you die, you (usually) don’t respawn.

The video game focus on “boss” monsters doesn’t make sense for tabletop RPGs. Video gamers are disappointed if the climactic monster doesn’t kill them several times; in RPGs, once you die, you (usually) don’t respawn. First a little history. Jeffro Johnson asked me if I'd used the monsters I contributed to the D&D Fiend Folio back in the late 70s as bosses. Most of my monsters in FF were minor, but the Princes of Elemental Evil were really powerful, and they also have stuck around in various ways (see Wikipedia: “Archomental”). For example, for the fifth edition of D&D, an entire large adventure module was titled after the Princes of Elemental Evil. I told Jeffro that my campaigns were never high enough level for the Princes, though I did run into one of them once as a player. (Imagine how annoying THAT is.) We fled posthaste because we wanted nothing to do with the fire Prince.

I realized that I've never thought in terms of boss monsters for tabletop D&D, that it's part of the video game mentality, and I asked myself why? In tabletop D&D, unlike video games, if you die you don't have a save game to go back to, and you don’t respawn automatically. You are dead when the party’s wiped out, unless somebody else uses a Wish. You can’t get killed a lot and succeed. On the other hand, video game bosses are designed to be really tough, to kill you many times before you succeed. You gradually have to figure out what to do to beat them. You could play tabletop RPGs that way, but would it be practical? The key is that there's no save game/respawn. Consequently a video game boss tends to be much tougher than the monsters you meet at a climax in tabletop RPGs, relative to the strength of the party.

Video gamers would be disappointed if virtually every time they had a climax they won the first time; they’d feel cheated. This is a matter of expectations. The video gamers expect the boss monster, and they expect it to be so tough that they're going to die several times before they finally succeed. Bosses are really a video game phenomenon because they are too dangerous for tabletop RPGs. You can't lose a computer RPG thanks to save games, while you can lose a tabletop RPG by dying just once.

I tend to use numerous monsters of several different kinds in a climax rather than one super boss, it varies of course, but I think this gives the players a better chance to develop strategies (and tactics) than if there is one super-powerful monster. And it makes tabletop RPGs different from video game RPGs in yet another way.

Groups of several different kinds of monsters can rely on a synergy between their capabilities, more or less like combined arms in military terms. The players may not immediately recognize what’s really dangerous when they face more than one monster. In this way, single monsters are too easy, too straightforward, quite apart from often not really fitting the fictional reality well.

I like temples as climax for a level because it fits my notions of the D&D world as a war between Good and Evil. In a temple you might have some priests, some low-level minions, some more powerful sidekicks, some monsters that have the same religion, some animals that are controlled by the religion. There are a lot of different capabilities there, and it won’t necessarily be clear which of the priests are most powerful, or even if it’s the priests that are most powerful rather than some of the sidekicks. If there is a straight magic-user present he or she will probably have lots of guards or at least obstacles between himself and the players.

This is likely to be a lot more interesting than a confrontation with one monster. Yes, you can use a single powerful monster, but it can’t be nearly as powerful in comparison to the player characters as it can be in a video game. Unless you want the players to fail, and if you do there are more subtle ways to do it.

This is as always descriptive, not prescriptive; how you GM is up to you.

This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

pemerton

Legend
This seems to be a result of the 3e PC build & skill system. Not seen it in pre-3e, not seen it much in 4e or 5e really.
The diagonosis seems plausible. The resultant play expectations seem to have endured to some extent, though: eg in 4e discussions about the fighter impressing the king by polevaulting as opposed to (say) talking of his/her exploits; and the current thread which frames the issue of "targetting a PC's weak spots" in very adversarial GM-vs-Min-maxer terms.

S'mon

Legend
The diagonosis seems plausible. The resultant play expectations seem to have endured to some extent, though: eg in 4e discussions about the fighter impressing the king by polevaulting as opposed to (say) talking of his/her exploits; and the current thread which frames the issue of "targetting a PC's weak spots" in very adversarial GM-vs-Min-maxer terms.

The discussions in places like this don't really bear much resemblance to the at-table play I see - and I see rather a lot, 4 5e D&D games this week with 4 mostly-different groups. :) Not seeing it with the other groups at the 5e D&D Meetup I run these days, either.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
True.

But when we look at examples of genre fiction, how many of them end in a boss fight*?

Lord of the Rings (the book) has plenty of combat, but my overwhelming impression is of arduous travel. It doesn't end in a boss fight per se (although the struggle for the ring at the Crack of Doom counts as an action scene). Lord of the Rings is won by two basically normal people enduring. Most of it is walking. Hey, maybe we should have a lot more "walking simulator" in D&D!**

You could argue that Sam and Frodo have to deal with a boss monster at the Cracks of Doom - but instead of it being a physical manifestation of Sauron, it's the corrupting influence of the ring - an alternative boss monster, if you will. Plus, they manage to avoid his gaze throughout much of their final approach - a boss monster defeated primarily by stealth rather than beaten down.

I know you're looking for alternatives, but there really are a number of situation in which our protagonists and supporting characters face localized "boss" style monsters that have important narrative consequences. Eowyn and Merry face the Wizard King. Gandalf faces Durin's Bane. Even Aragorn faces a similar boss conflict (of wills rather than violence) when he reveals himself in the Palantir to Sauron, provoking a premature attack on Minas Tirith. And way back in the Hobbit, Thorin and company faced Bolg (and lost until Beorn intervened).

pemerton

Legend
You could argue that Sam and Frodo have to deal with a boss monster at the Cracks of Doom - but instead of it being a physical manifestation of Sauron, it's the corrupting influence of the ring - an alternative boss monster, if you will. Plus, they manage to avoid his gaze throughout much of their final approach - a boss monster defeated primarily by stealth rather than beaten down.

<snip>

Even Aragorn faces a similar boss conflict (of wills rather than violence) when he reveals himself in the Palantir to Sauron, provoking a premature attack on Minas Tirith.
How often are these sorts of moral, spiritual, and mental conflicts the climax in tabletop FRPGing?

I don't really think it's to the point that they involve an antagonist (Sauron). The salient point, in the context of this discussion, is that the confrontation, and its resolution, is not a violent one. There's no reason at all in principle why this can't be handled by a RPG - contrary to what [MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION] suggested upthread, it doesn't require greater storytelling ability to make the struggle with Sauron non-violent in these ways. But D&D has tended to lack the mechanics to handle it (with skill challenges in 4e something of an exception).

Sadras

Legend
I know 4e's Cairn of the Winter King provided a way to defeat the BBEG through the social pillar via a skill challenge. The trick in 5e is to make it "exciting" (introduce risks) that will enable that kind of play. In combat it is easy via loss of hit points, so the risk is character death, it is a little more complex via using the social pillar to defeat the BBEG.

I've always been a fan of including boss monsters, because I'm a gamer at heart. But boss monsters work very differently in D&D than they do in a videogame. You can't have just one big pile of hitpoints in a D&D campaign. That would be boring. Instead I make a clear difference between one or two opponents that are the main threat, and their minions. I give my players things to focus on. This means that it is entirely possible for the players to focus on the boss, and kill him off early on in the fight. So I design the boss battle in such a way as to complicate this from happening (but not prevent). For example, by putting a defensive line of strong minions around the boss, or by complicating the battle through the environment, or sub-objectives.

If the players decide that the boss is the main threat, and must be killed off early in the fight, then it is great to give them this victory. They should feel the benefit of killing off a big threat, and you should allow them to turn the odds in their favor through such strategic decissions. All I can hope for as a DM, is that the players feel a sense of urgency and danger. I want them to care about the battle, and be in suspense every time the boss gets its turn.

Sometimes the players will come up with actions that can render the boss completely ineffective. Such as blocking a door so the boss cannot call reinforcements at all. Or hitting the boss with a Feeblemind spell that removes his spellcasting ability. And that's fine. These moments of triumph are exactly what I want my players to experience. I want them to feel clever when they outsmart my boss monster. But it's a clever dance for me as a DM to ensure that the fight remains challenging to some degree, even after the main threat has been dealt with.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think boss monsters are super exciting to fight. I'm always looking forward to my players facing one.

Even though you can't retry the fight, I still think so.
For me if there's TPK, the adventure is simply over, I do an ending narration and then start with a new adventure path.

It might not make as much sense for intermediate bosses, but the final boss is quite important as it determines if there's a good or a bad ending to the story. Either way it gives a climatic conclusion.

(Honestly, it would be interesting to just try out allowing the players to "save and reload" before a fight. Then let them retry until they win. I thought about this before but never tried it.)

Something I tried out very recently, was to have my players fight two bosses at once. Sort of a Ornstein and Smough experience (little Dark Souls reference there). It is pretty interesting to have the players divide their focus between two very different opponents, and having to decide who the biggest threat to them is.

Remove ads

Remove ads