Bows, Masterwork, built for strength, and Magical

Oogar

First Post
1. Does a bow built for Strength automatically have to be Masterwork? (I would guess no, as you can buy a bow built for strength for under 300gp)

2. if the answer to question 1 is No. To figure the cost of a bow built for strength that was also Masterwork, would you just add 300gp to the cost of the Mighty Composite Bow? (I would guess that this is the logical answer, so that a Masterwork Mighty Composite Longbow +4str bonus would cost 800gp)

3. In any case, if I enchant a Mighty Composite Bow (Would have to be masterwork to be enchanted), the Magical enhancement bonus will not stack with the masterwork bonus for attack, BUT will it stack with the damage bonus for being a Mighty Composite Bow? :rolleyes: I think that it should, as page 113-114 of the PHB does not specify what KIND of a bonus the Mighty Composite Bows give for damage, other then to say it is a Strength bonus.

4. If these do not stack, why did they even bother to list them as possible for enchantment in the DMG table for randomly created ranged weapons?

I am reasonable certain in my statements here, but I wanted to make sure by running it by a few other people. Thanks

Wolf72

Explorer
Re: Re: Bows, Masterwork, built for strength, and Magical

Kytess said:
1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. N/A

up there wolf points up as best he can

3. you said it, all it said is that you get up to the strenght bonus listed providing you have a str bonus. The named bonus would simply be strength ... which would stack with whatever magical bonus you put on it.

a +5 Mighty Composite bow +4 would do +9pts of dmg if you had an 18+ str. Add in any enchancement for arrows (oh say +5) and that'd get up to +14

AGGEMAM

First Post
Oogar said:
1. Does a bow built for Strength automatically have to be Masterwork? (I would guess no, as you can buy a bow built for strength for under 300gp)

No.

2. if the answer to question 1 is No. To figure the cost of a bow built for strength that was also Masterwork, would you just add 300gp to the cost of the Mighty Composite Bow? (I would guess that this is the logical answer, so that a Masterwork Mighty Composite Longbow +4str bonus would cost 800gp)

Yes.

3. In any case, if I enchant a Mighty Composite Bow (Would have to be masterwork to be enchanted), the Magical enhancement bonus will not stack with the masterwork bonus for attack, BUT will it stack with the damage bonus for being a Mighty Composite Bow? :rolleyes: I think that it should, as page 113-114 of the PHB does not specify what KIND of a bonus the Mighty Composite Bows give for damage, other then to say it is a Strength bonus.

Yes, the bonus that mighty bows bestows is strenght bonus, just like using melee weapons get the strength attack and damage, with ranged weapon though you only get strength bonus to damage.

4. If these do not stack, why did they even bother to list them as possible for enchantment in the DMG table for randomly created ranged weapons?

Well, they do and that is why it is on the table.

graydoom

First Post
Well, the you have the right answers in their entirety from two people already, so I'll just that they are right and save some time :).'

Kytess and AGGEMAM.

And yes, you can get up to a lot of damage being done when you have a enchanted mighty bow with enchanted arrows and a lot of strength.

Remove ads