Boxed Sets

How Do You Feel About Boxed Sets?

• I Miss Boxed Sets So Much! Please Make Some For Me!

Votes: 30 22.1%
  • Boxed Sets Are Nice. I Would Probably Buy Some.

Votes: 63 46.3%
  • I Never Really Liked Boxed Sets. I Might Buy One If I Really Liked The Subject.

Votes: 37 27.2%
  • Boxed Sets Stink! I Would Never Buy One.

Votes: 6 4.4%

Ah, the old Greyhawk boxed set. That brings back some fine memories.

No particular reason why a boxed set couldn't include a hardcover setting book, a couple softcovers (monsters, starter adventure), and oodles of maps. Of course, I'd expect to have to pay $100 for it....

Wombat

First Post
Boxed sets, per se, never did much for me. I've seen a couple good ones (mainly Runequest sets) and some pointless ones (many).

So everything would depend on what is in the box, what the box is all about, and why I should want a box over a book. Many times all I see is a few thin books in a box, but no real need for the box or for breaking up one book into multiple books.

Thus everything falls into "It All Depends, But It Would Have To Be Pretty Special To Convince Me" ;)

I'm not much for boxes, either. A well-executed hard- or soft-cover book is fine with me, though I'd buy a useful boxed set.

I do wish WOTC would bring back softcovers -- some of their books are a bit to light in the pagecount to be hardcover IMO.

johnsemlak

First Post
Boxed sets were viable in the early days because TSR's production process was, different. The first sets were put together by the authors themselves. I suppose that was cheap labor :)

My understanding is that the increase in output, and the increase of certain costs related to boxed sets, made them cost-inefficient.

Could be wrong, I ain't a publisher.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I'm not that thrilled with Box Sets...but if we're talking stuff coming out currently in boxes, then yes I'm enjoying the idea of buying Midnight in a box. :)

diaglo

Adventurer
i'm all for REAL boxed sets.

reprint the Original D&D (1974) rules. discard the poor imitation editions. :D

OD&D(1974) is the only true game. All the other editons are just poor imitations of the real thing. :D

Deceitfulelf

First Post
I miss box sets. I still get a lot of use out of all my Dark Sun box sets:). I can't wait for the Egyptian Themed Setting in a Boxed Set by Green Ronin.

MDSnowman

First Post
Zappo said:
I liked boxed sets, but... well, for example, for Planescape I would have greatly preferred a hardcover. They're more durable.

Tell me about it, I still have 16 of my old Boxed sets and the Planescape ones take up so much room that it isn't funny.

I agree with everyone else though, I think we're just waxing romantic about bpxed sets because they harken back to the old days when we had to many supported settings to choose from. But you have to realize in a boxed set you got two flimsey books and a few maps (sometimes not even that). I think books today are more durable, look better on shelves, and take up less space. The only downside is that a lot of settings suffer from horrible mapping (Ravenloft 3.x anyone? Nothing like a map without a scale.)

ssampier

First Post
I Never Really Liked Boxed Sets. I Might Buy One If I Really Liked The Subject.

That's how I voted. I like the idea of boxed sets, especially the handouts that are included (Undermountain and Night Below). However they are bulky, pricey, and you can't read them beforehand. I do wish there were an easier way to include good poster sized maps in hard-cover books.

Last edited:

haiiro

First Post
The thing I liked most about boxed sets was the ability to include multiple smaller items -- especially maps, but also things like the ship cards from Spelljammer, or the world element cards from Time of the Dragon. That said, I don't miss having the book portions of boxed sets split into pieces -- I really like having all of that material in one package.

For me, poster maps have always played a large role in my campaigns. Having the FRCS hardcover come with a macro-map, and then putting out a four-piece version on a more useful scale in Dragon works just fine, though.

Here's hoping they go that route with Eberron. ;) As beautiful as the mini-maps in the book are (and it's clear to me that they went out of their way to make them useful, unlike in the FRCS), I'd really like to have a poster map or two to go along with them.

Edit: Oooh, I almost forgot the nostalgia element -- I thoroughly enjoyed being able to put my own campaign material in the box with the other stuff, close it, and take it to the next session. That was neat. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads