D&D 5E Boxed texts

G

Guest 6801328

Not exactly on topic, but some 3rd party adventures I've read don't have stat blocks. Instead it will summarize a room or an NPC with some key words or phrases, and then leave it to the DM/GM to fill in the details.

I love this approach. I wish WotC would do it.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Whats a module?

Lol nah, if I do ever used a pre written adventure I tend to read the first text box and then everything after that is ad-libbed and can veer off entirely from the adventure as written.
Its probably why I like ‘5 room dungeon’ structure - it gives a framework but leaves the details up for grabs.

oriaxx77

Explorer
Not exactly on topic, but some 3rd party adventures I've read don't have stat blocks. Instead it will summarize a room or an NPC with some key words or phrases, and then leave it to the DM/GM to fill in the details.

I love this approach. I wish WotC would do it.
Yes, they open your imagination with keywords. I love it too.

Jack Hooligan

Explorer
i love boxed texts. Unfortunately, I don't feel like they're used correctly in the modern adventures. Thinking about SKT...there are very few boxed texts to read to the players, but tons of details that should be boxed texts. I mean, pretty much each entry has enough details they should have shaded them in grey, but they aren't. I have no idea why not...

aco175

Legend
I tend to use them and include them in modules that I write. I find that there is some information that needs to get out to the players and then there is room for questions. I do tend to make the description first and then list the monsters in the last paragraph. Not because the monsters are less important, but because the size and shape of the room influences the monster placement and leads to less questions from the players now focused on the monster.

Remove ads