Brainstorm: Help me map out a fortress!

Pants

First Post
So I have an adventure sorta planned for next week. The PC's are planning on breaking into a fortress run by a group known as the Seekers (think, evil historians who seek out ancient knowledge and lore at whatever the cost).

I'm thinking that most of the keep will be devoted to library space, vaults, and research areas. The inhabitants will be mostly humans, gnoll mercenaries, and kenku, along with some trained war animals and some constructs of some sort (shield guardians, dread guards, etc.).

The PC's are still planning out what they want to do, their basic goals being 'get revenge' but I'm planning to have a mature adult black dragon and some dragonspawn launching an attack on the fortress sometime during the PC's 'attack.' The dragon will be searching for some magical thingamajig (still figuring it out, but it'll be connected with Dragotha in some way), so I'm hoping to create a sort of running battle in a crumbling fortress scenario (replete with many tumbling towers, bodies falling from parapets, a dragon strafing the battlements, etc.). The dragon will be acting as a sort of 'plot device' only, I'm not planning on having it engaging the PC's unless they're particularly brave or foolish.

The Setting:
Greyhawk

The PC's are:
Elven Necromancer 6
Half-Elven Paladin 6
Human Cleric of St. Cuthbert 6
Human Monk 5
Human Fighter 5
Human Fighter 5
Elven Duskblade 4
Elven Bard 4
Human Fighter 4/Rogue 1/Assassin 2 (NPC)

So here's what I need from the Enworld Community. I'm looking for any maps (either free on the web or in modules or Dungeon mag) that could be used for my fortress. I'm not very good at creating maps, so I usually mine them from other places. I also need ideas for types of rooms and areas that I can put in the fortress.

Any other helpful ideas or bits of advice would greatly help. I want this to be a good, exciting night of adventure and I've never really run anything like this before.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Remove ads