D&D 5E Brainstorm Sorcerer upgrades. (+)

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Well, for metamagic I have this idea that was inspired by the old reverse spells and the way enhance ability works (plus how spell scaling works). Basically metamagic is built-in in the spells, as variants withing the spell, some variants require higher slot levels, some might even reduce the slot level (By increasing casting time, or components, or reducing duration, scope or levels). Then sorcerers would be able to freely use the different variants just by knowing the spell while prepared casters would have to treat each variant as its own spell. So, wizards would need to learn and prepare "quickened fireball" while sorcerers would be able to do it just by knowing fireball and having a sufficiently high slot.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
More than anything, I think the base Sorcerer list needs tweaking. There should be some unique sorcerer spells, and they should have access to some spells the Wizard can't get (possibly even removing them from the Wizard). Offhand, I think that some of elemental Druid spells should be pulled into the list - call lightning, flame blade, barkskin come to mind. Probably wouldn't put in cure wounds - I think that would be better saved for a sorcerer subclass such as the Radiant Soul.
On the contrary, having cure wounds on the core sorcerer list would soften the blow of subclass being moved to higher levels, basically by allowing sorcerers to be healers and feel different from wizards from first level up.

Remove ads