ZEITGEIST Brainstorming for ZEITGEIST 5th edition

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's not going to happen, guys. You paid for a 4E AP, so we owe you a 4E AP. 5E isn't even slightly on the table.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I'm going to be converting it to 5e at some point in the future, even if it doesn't get done officially. I love this adventure a lot, but can't stand PF/4e anymore, now that I'm running exclusively 5e. Still, I don't think it would work for a stop/start idea, though. Too upsetting to existing campaigns.

born2streak

First Post
Yes please to 5e.

I was going to run Zeitgeist with Pathfinder, but I think I might be a little burned out on it. I would be really psyched to see a 5e conversion. B-)

Ajar

Explorer
Personally, I'd much rather finish the campaign with a mature system than do an edition switch to a very new system partway through. Even a new system that was playtested as extensively as 5E has been.

That said, I'll probably be asking my players if they want a switch by the time we get to adventure 9, which could easily be 2 years from now. Unless things change drastically, though, I expect them to say no, and I personally don't have a huge interest in DMing 5E unless third-party content or additional modules provide alternative casters and martial characters. When I think about systems I'm interested in running for my next campaign, Savage Worlds and 13th Age are the ones that come to mind. Numenera and 5E are more distant possibilities.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'd also add that - as things stand right now - there is no third party license to produce for 5E. Sure, if you know what you're doing (for example, Necromancer Games is made up of lawyers!), you can circumvent that need, but it's not a risk we're willing to take.

Drabix

First Post
I've thought about converting the path to 5e, but I'll wait for the DMG. I'm guessing the Pathfinder version might be the better starting point for encounter conversion.

Ajar

Explorer
I'll say this as well: I think from a monster/encounter design perspective, 4E at epic tier offers a lot of, well, epicness. Most published adventures don't take advantage of it, but [MENTION=63]RangerWickett[/MENTION] and all of the adventure authors so far have shown a willingness to design crazy setpiece battles. I think the tail end of this AP is going to show the 4E players who stick with it just what the edition is capable of.

I still think 4E breaks down somewhat at epic, but that's because of the character issues (too many powers, too many feats, too many conditionals) rather than the DM side stuff.

I don't know that I'll be able to properly playtest the 4e epic adventures for ZEITGEIST, and might just have to eyeball them and go by my experience running a few epic games in the past. For final encounters I'll try to wrangle some players to test them, but I doubt I can manage it for every fight.

In 2011 I ran a mini-adventure with 30th level PCs trying to stop a plane-hopping Lolth from conquering Rio de Janeiro. Action denial was the rule of the day, with the all-powerful evil goddess being knocked prone repeatedly and given a -7 penalty to her attack rolls by the bard.

Not to mention the revenant swordmage who found a way to keep fighting as a ghost while at negative hit points, teleporting Lolth back to the 'kill zone' if she ever left and tried to attack someone else. Said swordmage was bolstered by a warlord with the ability to prevent any ally he could see from dying as long as he was alive. So Lolth couldn't actually reach the warlord because she kept getting knocked prone, and if she did get there and attack him she had a massive penalty, and even then she'd get teleported back into some Zone of Death the PCs had set up, then tripped again.

Kinda anticlimactic.

So expect epic scenarios, with some generous slathering of "ways not to be gimped" for each enemy. I might just steal 5e's "legendary resistances" and say that certain enemies can just automatically ignore conditions a certain number of times. It feels a little cheap to completely negate the PCs' powers, but man, epic-level 4e is not balanced as published.

Remove ads