ZEITGEIST Brainstorming for ZEITGEIST 5th edition

Shimrath

Explorer
If you guys say "5th Edition D&D" one more time, i am going to call Mike Mearls and his Drow Ninja Lawyers, and you'll wish you hadn't!

But seriously, i think a thread about converting Zeitgeist to 5E is a great idea and i'm certain there will be an audience for it!

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
This might be easier to do after the Adventurer's Handbook comes out, since that's basically the same kind of book (special PC features for a certain campaign). If they establish some sort of infrastructure for bolting on bonus abilities in that book, that will be useful to mimic.

I am (secretly) thinking of transmuting my 4e Zeitgeist campaign to 5e after a "certain event" late in Paragon tier... we'll see how I feel about that 12-18 months from now when it becomes something i have to actually do...

Shimrath

Explorer
This might be easier to do after the Adventurer's Handbook comes out, since that's basically the same kind of book (special PC features for a certain campaign). If they establish some sort of infrastructure for bolting on bonus abilities in that book, that will be useful to mimic.

I was hoping that this brainstorming might be easier even sooner, as in when the DMG is released! 5E is supposed to be all about "modularity", so i'm assuming that tome will have lots of really good info on how to tweak the game to suit the needs of your group. (?)

Elfshire

First Post
I wish we could poll all the 4e subscribers to see if they don't mind us switching to 5th after adventure 9.

Um... no thanks? I can't imagine how long that would take for an individual group (mine or someone else's) to find a workable 'translation' for every class, feat, magic item, etc. Even with trying to pick similar options at every opportunity, you'd almost certainly be left with something that has a very different 'feel' than your old character.

Not to mention having to re-learn every little rule... Switching over is fine as an option, but that should never be mandatory. Please don't do that. :(

Initial poll results show this option is unpopular. That's useful data.

Honestly, most 4e gamers I've talked to seem excited to switch to 5e. I didn't know how many groups are planning to stick with the current iteration of the rules.

Samuel Cole

First Post
I'm starting a Zeitgeist campaign in two weeks. If the 5E DMG were out, I'd consider running a 5E campaign, but as it is, 4E still works really well for me, and I'm not entirely convinced that 5E didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

So, in short, I'd definitely appreciate the option to switch to 5E once that becomes possible, but I'm happy to run the game in 4E, as well. If rewriting the entire adventure path for the new edition is impossible, you could also just put out an informal conversion guide - it would require people to create their own their encounters, but the genius of Zeitgeist is the story, not the mechanics.

Tanek

Explorer
This is something I've been thinking about as well. I was going to start a 4E Zeitgeist game fairly soon, but after reading the Next PHB I'm very tempted to try running it using the new set of rules. I think I may wait until the DMG is released to see what kind of "modularity" they're actually talking about.

Um... no thanks? I can't imagine how long that would take for an individual group (mine or someone else's) to find a workable 'translation' for every class, feat, magic item, etc. Even with trying to pick similar options at every opportunity, you'd almost certainly be left with something that has a very different 'feel' than your old character. Not to mention having to re-learn every little rule... Switching over is fine as an option, but that should never be mandatory. Please don't do that. :(
This, a milion times!

Remove ads