D&D 5E Brainstorming ideas for a Stress system

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So, with Van Richten’s Guide out, I’m starting to think about running a Ravenloft game again, and I’m pretty confident that I want it to have a stress system. I like the one in Van Richten’s conceptually - certain stressful experiences trigger a roll to resist gaining stress, which carries ongoing penalties until you can spend time de-stressing. But I find the execution underwhelming - a simple penalty to rolls is a dissatisfying way to express that stress, for a number of reasons.

I’m pretty sold on the idea of using the exhaustion mechanic as a template. Multiple levels, which are cumulative and each impose a unique penalty. I don’t want the final level’s effect to be death, or loss of character due to “insanity,” but I do want it to have some sense of finality to it. Like it makes sense that this is the culmination of the stress system. Maybe some sort of permanent penalty? A new Flaw or Fear? I kind of like that conceptually, but that would mean more opportunities to gain Inspiration and I don’t want reaching the final level of Stress to be a positive thing.

How many levels should there be? 6 to mirror exhaustion? Or would it be better to have more or fewer? What sort of penalties might be appropriate for each level? Disadvantage on certain rolls is an obvious choice, but the question becomes what rolls? Maybe gaining the Frightened Condition (of what?)?

If anyone has thoughts on the matter I would love to hear them. Also, I want to leave the thread open to discussing stress/trauma/“madness” systems in 5e generally. If you have an idea that doesn’t fit the exhaustion level model you want to suggest or solicit feedback on, by all means throw it out there! These are just my initial thoughts, I don’t want them to limit the scope of the discussion.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
The level up system that is currently being worked on has a stress function which mirrors exhaustion but primarily focuses on mental effects.

You could make it so that additional levels of stress make it easier to succumb to fear effects, for example. Giving a player disadvantage on fear saving throws if they already have one level of stress would be pretty thematic I think? Similarly you could have that sort of progress into general disadvantage on intelligence, wisdom, and charisma ability checks, or saving throws.

And then have a separate exhaustion mechanic for fatigue which focuses in on physical exhaustion rather than mental exhaustion.

Charlaquin

The level up system that is currently being worked on has a stress function which mirrors exhaustion but primarily focuses on mental effects.
Oh, awesome! I haven’t really been following Level Up, but I’d definitely like to read that. Which preview packet is it in?
You could make it so that additional levels of stress make it easier to succumb to fear effects, for example. Giving a player disadvantage on fear saving throws if they already have one level of stress would be pretty thematic I think? Similarly you could have that sort of progress into general disadvantage on intelligence, wisdom, and charisma ability checks, or saving throws.
Excellent suggestions, thank you! I definitely like the idea of disadvantage on fear saving throws, maybe advancing to disadvantage on other mental saves and/or checks at higher levels.
And then have a separate exhaustion mechanic for fatigue which focuses in on physical exhaustion rather than mental exhaustion.
I’ll probably just use exhaustion as-written.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter

Sorry it's technically called strife. It's not actually part of the play test packets yet, but Morrus, himself, posted a preview.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sorry it's technically called strife. It's not actually part of the play test packets yet, but Morrus, himself, posted a preview.
Hah, yep, that's right. We have replaced Exhaustion with Fatigue and Strife. I'm not sure when we'll be sharing the final versions (we're likely going to lengthen the number of steps slightly so as to soften the early-on stages -- an initial 'warning' stage, so to speak, before the penalties start to set in, as they're easier to gain than in O5E). And, of course, you can only recover Fatigue and Strife with a long rest at a Haven.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I love the idea of stress & corruption being a counter that slowly drains the PC, much like exhaustion. Level Up, as mentioned does something similar, but I'm not sold on roleplay elements being penalties in the table of effect (madness and insanity)

I'd go with something:

Each PC has a Fear in addition to the usual bond/flaw/idea. As always, roleplaying adequately this element of the character can gain you Inspiration.

PCs are subjected to Moral check, from the DMG, when prompted by the DM.

Ex:
Facing an overwhelming force
Seeing pain and suffering
Losing a companion
Being subjected to the Frightened condition.
Adventuring while lost or without illumination in the dark.

When failed, the Moral check gives you 1 level of Stress/Corruption/Shadow/Strife (TBD). You lose 1 level of X when you take a long rest in a safe haven, with access to comfort and support from your companions.

The effects from X are cumulative:

1Disadvantage on Cha/Int/Wis ability check
2Disadvantage on Wis/Int/Cha saves
3You cant maintain Concentration
4You can only take the Disengage, Dodge or Dash action in combat.
5You are unable to see anything farther than 15 feet away from you.
6Death

Charlaquin

Hah, yep, that's right. We have replaced Exhaustion with Fatigue and Strife. I'm not sure when we'll be sharing the final versions (we're likely going to lengthen the number of steps slightly so as to soften the early-on stages -- an initial 'warning' stage, so to speak, before the penalties start to set in, as they're easier to gain than in O5E). And, of course, you can only recover Fatigue and Strife with a long rest at a Haven.
Awesome, looking forward to seeing how that comes out!

Charlaquin

I love the idea of stress & corruption being a counter that slowly drains the PC, much like exhaustion. Level Up, as mentioned does something similar, but I'm not sold on roleplay elements being penalties in the table of effect (madness and insanity)

I'd go with something:

Each PC has a Fear in addition to the usual bond/flaw/idea. As always, roleplaying adequately this element of the character can gain you Inspiration.

PCs are subjected to Moral check, from the DMG, when prompted by the DM.

Ex:
Facing an overwhelming force
Seeing pain and suffering
Losing a companion
Being subjected to the Frightened condition.
Adventuring while lost or without illumination in the dark.

When failed, the Moral check gives you 1 level of Stress/Corruption/Shadow/Strife (TBD). You lose 1 level of X when you take a long rest in a safe haven, with access to comfort and support from your companions.

The effects from X are cumulative:

1Disadvantage on Cha/Int/Wis ability check
2Disadvantage on Wis/Int/Cha saves
3You cant maintain Concentration
4You can only take the Disengage, Dodge or Dash action in combat.
5You are unable to see anything farther than 15 feet away from you.
6Death
I don’t love Death as the effect of level 6, but otherwise this is exactly the sort of thing I’m considering. Thanks!

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I don’t love Death as the effect of level 6, but otherwise this is exactly the sort of thing I’m considering. Thanks!
Maybe Level 6 is the character can no longer lose levels of this and becomes an NPC under the DM's control?

I'd possibly do something about Level 5 (can't see past 15 feet) but that's me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases