• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Brainstorming Rules for a Tarot-based Game

arscott

First Post
See if you can get your hands on the Everway roleplaying game. It's actually designed for use with it's own set of tarot-like cards, but there's no reason you can't use an actual set of tarot cards instead.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Folks,

While the jokes are entertaining to some, they're rather aside the point. Please keep this a little more focused on the question at hand. Thanks.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer

Thanks for the suggestions. The link to Predator Echoes seems to be broken. Geiger counter gives me a great feel for how to run the game in a more genral sense (since I've never GMed a full narativist game).

See if you can get your hands on the Everway roleplaying game. It's actually designed for use with it's own set of tarot-like cards, but there's no reason you can't use an actual set of tarot cards instead.

I never heard of this game or the line it was produced under. According to wikipedia it was produced by WotC. Interesting. The wiki article has given me a few more ideas.

I'm thinking of character creation at the table. Each player would draw a card representing their past, one representing their present, one their future, one to represent their greatest strength, and one their greatest weakness.

Each card of suit drawn during creation would earn the character one point of affinity to that suit.

For simple task resolution I could use GM fiat. Most normal tasks within the setting I choose should be possible. Complex task resolution or key dramatic points in the scenario could be resolved using the meaning of a flipped card.

Ideas are starting to come together, but not enough yet for me to form a game I'm comfortable running.

Nameless1

First Post
For simple task resolution I could use GM fiat. Most normal tasks within the setting I choose should be possible. Complex task resolution or key dramatic points in the scenario could be resolved using the meaning of a flipped card.

If you are going for narrrativist, be careful with GM fiat. It is practically the opposite of narrativist. It might be the most rules light, but rules light is not necessarily narrativist. Many narrativist ideals are in direct opposition to GM fiat, and the sparse rules are there to empower players.

Not sure what is up, but the linnk for Predator Echos works for me.

Scotley

Hero
I've used tarot readings in game with some success, but they were scripted rather than actual readings. I also contrasted that with a Goblin shamaness who did an animal sacrifice/entrail reading in the same game. Again no actual animals were harmed--it is a play by post game here.

I remember reading an article about 4-6 months ago involing using the tarot in character creation. Might have been in Kobold Quarterly? Anyway, I couldn't find it, but I did find this:

Character Creation (or "Smiley Face") Spread - Aeclectic Tarot Forum.

Also, here is a short article from Gnome Stew that might give you some ideas. Again, it is more about character/npc creation and idea generation than actually using the cards as a focus of the game, but you might get something useful from it.

Deep as a Puddle: Character Development with Tarot - Gnome Stew, the Game Mastering Blog

I think you could use the tarot sort of like action points. Let the players choose to draw a card to modify a roll they don't like. The nature of the card could have an effect on the result.

If that is too random, perhaps you could do a reading at the beginning of the game and let the players decide when each card comes into play. The better job they do explaining why the card relates to the current situation the more powerful the effect. They could apply negative results to opponents and positive result to themselves or their companions.

Let us know how it goes. I may want to borrow your successes on this one for my own games.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
If you are going for narrrativist, be careful with GM fiat. It is practically the opposite of narrativist.

True, I'm probably not using the right term. What I mean is that when a player wants his character to do something simple there is no tarot consultation, it just happens.

Nameless1

First Post
This sort of thing falls under "Say yes or roll dice." It is basically the default assumption in play that everything that the players say happens, unless there is a good reason for it not to, and then you roll dice to see if it happens or not. It is different than GM Fiat because in GM Fiat, the GM decides if it happens. In Say Yes or Roll Dice, it happens unless the GM thinks that it might be cool if it didn't, and then the dice decide whether it does or not. Say Yes or Roll Dice is almost the polar opposite of GM Fiat.

Sorry for the sematics. Just trying to be clear. If it is unwanted, let me know. I can stop. Really. I can. I can change. If I want to. I think. ;)

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
I've decided upon the mechanics. But now I'm having trouble figuring out what to prep to run a one-shot. I've got my setting and my villain, now what?

Remove ads