Breaking Morale

Morale is vitally important in real battles. Units didn’t become hors de combat because most of the unit was dead or wounded, instead their morale broke when there was still a majority able to fight, and they fled. Morale has fallen out of use in RPGs – why?

Morale is vitally important in real battles. Units didn’t become hors de combat because most of the unit was dead or wounded, instead their morale broke when there was still a majority able to fight, and they fled. Morale has fallen out of use in RPGs – why?

"Two armies are two bodies which meet and try to frighten each other."
"An army's effectiveness depends on its size, training, experience, and morale, and morale is worth more than the other factors combined."
[In war] "The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- (Emperor) Napoleon I Bonaparte

Morale is vitally important in real battles. We read about bayonet charges and hand-to-hand fighting in the age of gunpowder, but as I understand it, fighting rarely reached the bayonet stage. Instead one side or the other’s morale would give way, and either the defenders would flee or the attackers would retreat. Units didn’t become hors de combat because most of the unit was dead or wounded, instead their morale broke when there was still a majority able to fight, and they fled. That was true in both melee (club, spear, and sword) and gunpowder ages, and today.

Even though soldiers often knew that breaking and running was the worst thing to do, most casualties in battles occurred during the pursuit of the side that fled.

I’ve read many sets of miniatures battle rules where morale tests, breaking and fleeing, and rallying broken units are a very important aspect of the battle as a whole, perhaps more important than the actual casualties inflicted. (D&D’s predecessor Chainmail was rules for miniatures battle, but I don’t recall the details of its morale rules). Saving throws are often a part of morale rules, and came into D&D as a standard mechanism. For a "simplified" morale system for D&D 5e, see this site.

RPGs are skirmish battles rather than pitched battles, but morale can still prevail. Yet how often does morale play a significant role in an RPG? I suspect, not often.

Why do we see morale applied rarely in RPGs? I don’t know, but this is my hypothesis: serious game players want to feel that they control their own fate, that what happens to them is a result of their own actions. They don’t want to be told that their character’s morale breaks and the character runs away. (I know I don’t!) They want to decide for themselves whether they run away.

Furthermore, GMs who are telling specific stories don’t want the story messed up because the player characters run away at an inopportune time.

The result, given the absence of the fear and stink of death that would be present in the real world, is that player characters tend to stick around long after the morale of the typical soldier would have broken. (And this actually makes sense for the characters, who know that the pursuit is where much of the killing takes place.) I suspect as compensation, most GM’s have the bad guys stick around long after their morale should have broken. It’s an application of the Golden Rule of RPGs (“what’s good for the good guys is good for the bad guys”).

The contrary point of view would be, the player adventurer party is extraordinary, just as the characters in a novel are extraordinary (or they wouldn’t succeed), and so they should have an advantage that others do not have. Consequently, the bad guys should have morale appropriate to gangs and to individuals who are more interested in many cases in finding food and water than in defeating heroes. They ought to break fairly easily! On the other hand, properly motivated intelligent bad guys will have much better morale.

If NPCs are involved on the adventuring side, perhaps their morale could break, even if the PC morale does not.

Some early versions of D&D, descendant of miniatures rules, provided morale tests for the opposition, but this was later dropped, and I've read many sets of RPG rules that do not consider morale.

That means most fights are "to the death", which is exactly the opposite of the real world.

A drawback of morale rules (aside from the additional complication) is randomness. They depend on die rolls and calculations. Sometimes enemy morale will break quickly, sometimes they just won't break. This random factor might get in the way of the GM's plans.

So, do you use morale rules in your games? Only for the opposition, or for the player characters (or just the NPCs) as well?

This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
D&D 4e has rules for using Intimidate to affect the willingness of NPCs/monsters to fight, but there is no comparable mechanic to force PCs to check morale.
It did, but I seem to recall that the DCs were set so high it was nigh-impossible to make it work. The designers more or less said "don't bother."

pemerton

Legend
It did, but I seem to recall that the DCs were set so high it was nigh-impossible to make it work. The designers more or less said "don't bother."
I think that was pretty clearly a design "accident", not deliberate: the numbers for skill checks and for attacks/defences don't scale in parity. (It's about +1/level for combat, closer to 2/3 per level for skills.) That's one of the weaker parts of 4e's design, which any reworking hopefully would fix (though the reworking would have to be pretty thorough to actually do it, given how deepely embedded in the system the number-generating parts are).

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I think that was pretty clearly a design "accident", not deliberate: the numbers for skill checks and for attacks/defences don't scale in parity. (It's about +1/level for combat, closer to 2/3 per level for skills.) That's one of the weaker parts of 4e's design, which any reworking hopefully would fix (though the reworking would have to be pretty thorough to actually do it, given how deepely embedded in the system the number-generating parts are).

Maybe, but part of it is the fact that D&D in general assumes success and failure are binary, with no degrees of success except in isolated cases or, of course, 4E's inconsistently implemented skill challenge. If, for instance, you could make multiple intimidation actions or work to break a foe's morale that would help be able to reduce DCs. In general, 5E would benefit greatly by having successes accumulate because they could keep DCs down and do a better job of maintaining bounded accuracy, something the skill system kind of failed at, particularly for higher level characters.

Of course, you can view hit points as involving morale, too, so part of this can be handled with description. Rather than saying "he's dead" when a monster hits 0 hit points, you could say "he's cringing on the ground and laying glassy-eyed", though that may raise deep suspicion in players. I think one useful marker is when a group of monsters has hit its halfway point, bloodied as it were. Particularly fanatic or group oriented monsters like, say, hobgoblins might require much more strong defeats before breaking and one of the things that would make mindless undead so awful would be the fact that they never break. Fear attacks could also do psychic damage. Again, this is something that 5E only implements inconsistently, so there are fear spells such as Dissonant Whispers or Phantasmal Killer that do psychic damage but essentially no way to inflict that mundanely (that I know of, though there might be a few here and there).

S'mon

Legend
I always use morale for NPCs and monsters. I use the 2d6 B/X D&D rule. Very few monsters have unbreakable morale.

Generally most monsters have much better morale than a Napoleonic Age musket line, so eg orcs rarely flinch from melee unless they feel outmatched. But nor will the last couple orcs usually fight to the death.

I don't use morale for PCs. PCs often do run away if they think they're losing. I think the main reasons PCs rarely run is (a) they usually win (b) they fight a lot (c) injuries are recoverable. But there are real world analogies in some Special Forces teams who may have similarly unshakeable
morale. There are historical
cases
too.
:)

pemerton

Legend
Of course, you can view hit points as involving morale, too, so part of this can be handled with description. Rather than saying "he's dead" when a monster hits 0 hit points, you could say "he's cringing on the ground and laying glassy-eyed", though that may raise deep suspicion in players. I think one useful marker is when a group of monsters has hit its halfway point, bloodied as it were. Particularly fanatic or group oriented monsters like, say, hobgoblins might require much more strong defeats before breaking and one of the things that would make mindless undead so awful would be the fact that they never break. Fear attacks could also do psychic damage. Again, this is something that 5E only implements inconsistently, so there are fear spells such as Dissonant Whispers or Phantasmal Killer that do psychic damage but essentially no way to inflict that mundanely (that I know of, though there might be a few here and there).
I think 4e was probably stronger on this - the only published example I can think of where a "mundane" attack is considered as dealing psychic damage is in Cairn of the Winter King (assuming I'm remembering correctly). Using an intimdate action to deal pscyhic damage more generally would make sense, but the wonky numbers (as I mentioned in my earlier post) make it a bit hard to implement in practice.

I am completely opposed to the idea of PC morale. PCs who fight to the death, and die, are the writers of their own fate.

My opinion is more mixed with NPCs. Unfortunately I don't find morale dice rolls to be a good mechanic. How many times do you roll for morale in an encounter? If a PC rolls a natural 1 on an Intimidate check, when they have a ton of leverage against NPCs, shouldn't the NPCs flee or surrender anyway? Or if your nemesis came up with a good plan and ambushed you while having a bath, but your high-Intimidate PC rolls a natural 20, do the bad guys run away?

A lot of times when PCs face roughly even NPCs, I find that maybe one PC and one NPC or so drops every round. The NPCs look at each other, see how they're dropping at a high rate... but also notice that the PCs are suffering similar losses. The players also think the same way. "If we just hang on, we can win. And if we win, we can heal the wounded. But if we retreat, we might not be able to take our wounded with us, and we don't know if those guys will stop attacking if we retreat."

I've seen encounters that were literally decided by one die roll (if the last standing NPC had rolled 1 higher, the last PC would have died... but missed due to a penalty inflicted by said PC). There's no way that would have worked had there been morale rules.

The NPCs might be thinking, "reinforcements are just over that hill, what is taking so long? Let's do a fighting retreat..." which isn't the same thing as breaking and fleeing.

pemerton

Legend
A Morale system is a great idea if you play Combat as War and is a terrible idea if you play Combat as Sport.
I think every ENworld poster who endorses that dichotomisation would classify Marvel Heroic RP/Cortex+ Heroic on the "sport" side of the divide - yet it has a morale system (in the form of Emotional Stress/Trauma) at the core of the system, and it's not a terrible idea. Sometimes Wolverine scares people into submission ("Wanna try for a third?") rather than beating them into submission.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I think every ENworld poster who endorses that dichotomisation would classify Marvel Heroic RP/Cortex+ Heroic on the "sport" side of the divide - yet it has a morale system (in the form of Emotional Stress/Trauma) at the core of the system, and it's not a terrible idea. Sometimes Wolverine scares people into submission ("Wanna try for a third?") rather than beating them into submission.

So if I am playing Wolverine in Marvel Heroic RP/Cortex+ Heroic then can my character be scared into submission?

If I can be then I stand by my assessment that it is a terrible idea.

pemerton

Legend
So if I am playing Wolverine in Marvel Heroic RP/Cortex+ Heroic then can my character be scared into submission?

If I can be then I stand by my assessment that it is a terrible idea.
Yes. I posted about this upthread.

In mechanical terms, inflicting Emotional Stress, and succubming to it, is no differnt from Physical Stress.

In fiction terms, Wolverine is not immune from being cowed or intimidated or suffering self-doubt, even crippling self-doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads