Brindlewood Bay Kickstarter

Greggy C

Hero
I just noticed this message in my inbox, I don't think it was ever posted here but its done well.

Hello! We wanted to let you know that the Brindlewood Bay Kickstarter campaign is now LIVE! Brindlewood Bay is a cozy murder mystery game mashed up with eldritch horror. It's Murder, She Wrote meets HP Lovecraft, and we think you're going to love it!

You can follow along and pledge right here
: kickstarter.com/projects/gauntlet/brindlewood-bay-cozy-murder-mystery-rpg

18 days left.

Greggy C

Hero
Yeah I believe it was done by Jason Cordova, I've heard about it on podcasts before, and while not for me, it sounded hilarious.

Not sure how such as thing was missed here, maybe there are a lot more TTRPGS out there that aren't being promoted widely.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yeah, it is indeed written by Jason. It's a great game and the KS, which has blown through all but one of the stretch goals in short order, will add some lovely depth and detail. I was backer number 32. (y) The mystery mechanic in BBay isn't for everyone, but I will say that I've heard form a lot of people on the Gauntlet Discord who gave it a try despite their reservations and loved it.

If you want to give it a go before you back, check out the Discord, there are a lot of people (myself included) running one-shot and short form BBay stuff that would give you an opportunity to play.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
This game is magic, and I highly recommend it; it's one of my two favorite PbtA games of the 20-odd I've played. It's a different mystery resolution than, say, GUMSHOE. In BB the GM doesn't necessarily know the true culprit of the mystery. The mavens accumulate clues, theorize about them, and then make a roll (2d6 + (# of clues) - (complexity of mystery)) to see whether they are correct. If they're wrong they make their accusations, play out the scene, and then pick a new solution. If they're right the end of the mystery plays out.

darkbard

Legend
Cordova reports that he wrote the game as he was trying to solve the mystery component for his intriguing supernatural Victorian Penny Dreadful / League of Extraordinary Gentlemen PbtA game The Between.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Cordova reports that he wrote the game as he was trying to solve the mystery component for his intriguing supernatural Victorian Penny Dreadful / League of Extraordinary Gentlemen PbtA game The Between.
That's correct. The version of the mystery mechanic in The Between is a little bit more nuanced than the version in BBay as it's designed to cover a range of threats to be investigated, not just murders. If someone was looking to adapt the mechanic to another PbtA game, or to another system entirely (which I've done), I would probably recommend at least reading the version in The Between to see what the differences are.

If anyone was considering backing Brindlewood Bay, the campaign is just 11 hours away from wrapping up. The final push is for $450,000, which would unlock a new type of play mode, with what sounds like additional material (in addition to all of the other content that was unlocked along the way, including a Roll20 integration that lets you create yarn-map-style boards connecting clues and suspects).

The only KS-exclusive reward is the cookbook--a real cookbook with something like a solo adventure (a murder mystery) written into the margins. But the hardback books and PDFs will all be cheaper if you back than once they're released.

I'm not affiliated with the campaign, I just think it's an awesome project, and one of the most innovative and original RPGs in years.

Remove ads