Bring Back Verisimilitude, add in More Excitement!

Greg K

Legend
5. Don't lock me into a character class. Let me multiclass, /Every Level/ if I so choose.

I agree about not being locked into a class. However, I think that there needs to be limits. I don't see verisimilitude if anyone can just take a new class without a trainer, time to train, and the equipment.

I don't want someone gaining enough experience and just taking a level in fighter. Learning to be proficient in all those weapons takes a lot of time and practice.
I also don't want someone taking a level in wizard and casting first level spells and scribing scrolls without having to first spending time having to learn cantrips and then first level spells

I don't want someone taking a level in monk without having to spend the time with someone that can teach them unarmed combat techniques, meditation, chi, etc.

You get the idea

Sylrae

First Post
Monster Post. Will Sort.

"Player Powers" and "Disconnected Mechanics"

It took myself a while to get around how to interpret these abilities, when I realised that these were not character powers, but player powers.
Something you generally see in rules-lite systems, and something that tends to make me not want to play the game.

Martial dailies/encounter powers are just abstractions of the chance that the a certain set of circumstances occur...the design team ... gave the player the narrative control to say when they would occur.
And giving giving narrative control over the environment to the player is the sort of thing that "breaks verisimilitude for me" "disconnects me from immersion" or however else you'd like to phrase it.

Some of my DM narrative control has been given to them to use when they will, still subject to Rule 0.
My rule 0 tends toward: "A player has control over the choices and actions of their character(s). That is all."

If I'm giving up more than that, I'm not GMing, I'm moving to a shared narrative game where everyone is both player and GM, and rolling is less about what happens, and more about "who has narrative control in this situation". Then I can play while drinking, or something. Ant thats not the sort of game I'd like to play every week, but instead, one night in several months.

You can't have this discussion usefully if you think that "disassociated mechanics" is an argument clincher. That's just a more indirect way of saying, "I want more verisimilitude"--in bad jargon, with a bad history tied to it. If you start with the "different verisimilitude" version, it's, "this mechanic causes me to be disassociated from the fiction" which is potentially offensive only because of the prior nonsense "associated" with the phrase "disassociated mechanics"--but technically, there is nothing wrong with that formulation, because it is a simple statement of experience being reported instead of a claim that the mechanic is somehow inherently the only thing at issue.
Alright: "In the kind of verisimilitude I want out of an ongoing RPG, is one with neither mechanics disassociated from the fiction, nor removed from the game worlld making them /Player Powers/ instead of /Character Powers/."

Both of those things grate on me, and the more of them there are, and the more blatantly they do so, the less likely I will enjoy the RPG. Additionally, I'm not a fan of "Narratively describe it however you want, without limits." Which I feel leads to alot of "Ugh. Please make it stop. Lets just not describe any actions, so I dont have to listen to this."

Now, on the second issue above that players make decisions from the point of view of characters. Take something like trip, now triping people that are expecting it is not that easy. In a fight it is not even something that one would try every attack. It would be bad tactics, it is realy only something that can work when you and the opponent are lined up the right way.
Agreed.

How does one best model this?
4e does it by giving the player as the player (not in the person of their character) a token in the form of a power that can be used in a limited way to say that the character is now in a position to try the trip.

How do you think it should be done?
Random Chance, Set situations where the power is plausible (when flanking, when standing on sand, when standing on stone, etc), When the opponent isn't expecting that maneuver (trip/disarm DC should go up after you fail).

Ideally not by giving the narrative control over the setting to the player.

So would 4e have worked better for you if all encounter and daily power had a preamble that in effect use of these powers represented a moment where the player (not the character) was invoking that an occasion would now occur where his character could do some cool signature move?
Not for me it wouldn't, no.

The problem is that there's no underlying simulation for that; it's purely meta-game. So the players are choosing their tactics and strategies based on how they should allocate their signature-move resources.
This is a big reason why I'm against giving the player narrative control of "outside their character."

Characters in D&D Don't influence what eachother learn.

The basic one that though guy, sneaky guy, magic guy and holy guy go traipsing about in haunted ruins and abandoned places fighting monsters that make 20 year veterens wet themselves but in all that time, tough guy never learns much about magic, magic guy never learns new sword tricks and nobody learns hightly useful tricks from sneaky guy. Also despite daily miracles from holy guy nobody ever converts to the worship of holy guy's god.
That might be a pretty cool optional subsystem. You could work in a mechanic where you pick up a small number of abilities possessed by your teammates, to cover you picking up a couple tricks from the other characters.

Multiclassing

I agree about not being locked into a class. However, I think that there needs to be limits. I don't see verisimilitude if anyone can just take a new class without a trainer, time to train, and the equipment.

I don't want someone gaining enough experience and just taking a level in fighter. Learning to be proficient in all those weapons takes a lot of time and practice.
I also don't want someone taking a level in wizard and casting first level spells and scribing scrolls without having to first spending time having to learn cantrips and then first level spells

I don't want someone taking a level in monk without having to spend the time with someone that can teach them unarmed combat techniques, meditation, chi, etc.

You get the idea
Hmm. Many RPGs (particularly classless ones) don't let you advance something you haven't been using.

In D&D, I've been doing it the same way. If you're a fighter, and you want to take a level of barbarian, I'd want to see the fighter start acting barbariany (easy requirement). If he wants to take a level of rogue, start using stealth skills or acrobatics skills. If he wants a level of wizard, make a point of reading stuff.

Likewise, if they talk to the party member of that class about how they do what they do, that will help.

And of course getting a trainer is the third option. (Getting a trainer is mandatory in Shadowrun - that's where all your money tends to go.)

If a player says: "I'm taking a level in monk" that needs to be justified by things that happened in game. I will make the player explain to me in narrative terms why he should have a level in monk next. *OR* it may be obvious by how he's been acting and what he's been doing, in which case I'm likely to just allow it.

I wouldn't mind seeing it as an official rule for D&D though.

Last edited:

Crazy Jerome

First Post
It has far too much baggage from previous online message board fighting.

I think I avoided using the term, even if I described something that might be covered by it.

I am specifically talking about the actual procedures at the table where you hit a "what happens?" moment, resolve it with the system and immediately narrate the results back into the shared story to answer the question, which then creates a new described element which people react with in a constant cycle.

A mechanic that doesn't do that is not inherently bad or wrong. But it does provide a different play experience. And it can cause people who are looking more for an approach where the mechanics constantly refer back to the fiction to have a WTF?! moment.

And making it work for everyone by forcing narration is problematic. I'm probably not the only one who either heard someone describing their 4E power use in narrative terms and thought "ugh, just get on with the game" or who described it myself and had someone else think (or say) "ugh, just get on with the game."

When people say "That doesn't make sense," they have a valid complaint. And when people explain, "It could make sense, if you think about it in this particular way," or "It doesn't have to, just ignore it and enjoy the game," they're not actually addressing the problem. The problem is that the game mechanics are not producing results that the person finds pleasing and they need to look elsewhere for different mechanics that they will find pleasing.

I think we're going to see more and more people who want a more traditional approach to system resolution as more and more people who left D&D with 4E come and check out what's up with the new edition. And some of these people feel that WotC fired them as a customer. When you've got a negative experience like that and you talk about the way 4E is different than most previously published versions of D&D, it's easy to take a vague idea of "verisimilitude" and make it a point of contention.

Fun times ahead.

Nope, you didn't use the term, and I appreciated it. Really should have put my P.S. in another post, because it wasn't directed at your post. My apologies.

This one is good too, as is the one you followed it with. What I'd like to see to square this particular circle is optional metagaming/narrative mechanics that are built into the system in such a way that they can be used to replace "bad simulation". And by "bad simulation" I mean, simulation that causes you trouble--it may be fine for some people. Among other things, that will also help people that want some particular simulation, but don't want the default.

Where a simulation goes really bad is when it gets so embedded into the system that it is hard to touch without unforeseen repercussions. For example, take fire magic catching things on fire:

You want to make the default that certain spells catch stuff on fire, and fire creatures are immune to it? No problem. But even if you are going to do that and get away from 4E, still use the "fire" keyword for those spells. Then it is real easy for a person with a narrative focus to decide that the keyword drives events, and the DM will decide if things catch on fire or not, and that for fast pace play, he'll let the fire spell affect fire creatures. And another sim guy that wants the more traditional usage can decide that such creatures take half damage, and use some kind of object saving throw method to determine if things catch on fire or not.

What I don't want is leaving the "fire" keyword out as redundant to that default, and then having to depend on text. So "fireball" is easy, but what about "heat metal"? What about "flaming sphere"? And so on. And certainly, don't embed the text in every such spell and make us go look. Not only is it a pain to change, you now have to address how much of "fire" stuff was flavor and how much was for balance. With the keyword, you know what the designer intended--anyone changing fire magic systematically should include these items.

This is necessarily going to leave some redundant information for those that want to play the default straight. But it seems to me a small price to play to make the game accessible to traditionalist with different campaign assumptions and non-traditionalists alike. :)

SlyDoubt

First Post
Keywording is definitely hugely helpful when it comes to long term organization. I would be extremely surprised if they don't use keywords in 5E. There's no real downside. They just need to create a system of keywords that finds a good balance between being too specific and too general.

Some kind of branching tree structure which already exists in part with the schools of magic and types of spells would be great. take that same concept and apply it to everything. That was something smart they were trying in 4E and it definitely helps both the DM and the players to understand basic interactions.

Like what was just stated with having the 'fire' keyword. Ultimately though you're not going to avoid needing DM discretion at the end of the day. The main concern is that they might go too far in defining things.

Remove ads