Brom's Cover Art For Modiphius' Upcoming CONAN RPG

Voted the 4th most anticipated roleplaying game of 2016, Modiphius' Robert E Howard’s CONAN Roleplaying game - Adventures In An Age Undreamed Of is based on the company's own 2d20 system. Brom is a name you may recognise from Dark Sun and other D&D settings, as well as the covers of novels from the likes of Moorcock. He's a pretty big deal in the world of fantasy art. Apparently, Modiphius had trouble getting Brom for this cover - he was unavailable when they first approached him, but circumstances have brought his schedule in line with the game's 2016 release date, and so we now have a cover to ogle at!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voted the 4th most anticipated roleplaying game of 2016, Modiphius' Robert E Howard’s CONAN Roleplaying game - Adventures In An Age Undreamed Of is based on the company's own 2d20 system. Brom is a name you may recognise from Dark Sun and other D&D settings, as well as the covers of novels from the likes of Moorcock. He's a pretty big deal in the world of fantasy art. Apparently, Modiphius had trouble getting Brom for this cover - he was unavailable when they first approached him, but circumstances have brought his schedule in line with the game's 2016 release date, and so we now have a cover to ogle at!

204217.jpg

Water Bob

Adventurer
You're obsessed with the idea of "paid for it... later", as if the GM's Doom pool is some inevitable horror that will befall characters, rather than an abstraction of the natural consequences of doing risky things in dangerous places.

Not obsessed, but focused on it because it is the problem with the system. The relationship is, undeniably, Reward Now For Peril Later.

If a player wants to "buy" extra dice, then he must generate some peril later.

It's not really abstract. In your video, you can trace Player 4's peril of being hit by an arrow and losing a game turn directly to the reward Player 1 and Player 4 got by having more than normal dice on their attack throw earlier.

Had neither Player 1 or Player 4 generated Doom, then the archer strike wouldn't happen when it did, and Player 4 would be damaged and lose his turn.

The mechanic is just plain a bad fit for Conan's Hyborian Age. That universe doesn't work that way.

There is no cause and effect relationship between Conan's heroics and the obstacles he faces later.

Water Bob

Adventurer
You've already said plenty, in several threads on several forums. At this point, it's basically just a morass of circular arguments, and we've all got better things to do.

I'm sure if I was praising every aspect of the game, you wouldn't care what I posted. It's the criticism of he system that you'd prefer I not talk about.

N01H3r3

Explorer
If a player wants to "buy" extra dice, then he must generate some peril later.
This is not the case. If a player wants to buy extra dice, then generating some peril later is one of a varying range of options available to him. It is the option that is always available, but it is not the only option available.

The playtest video represents an earlier form of the game, and is not indicative of the way the Momentum and Doom economies function in the final game. It's a demo of a work-in-progress. Further, the GM already had a quantity of Doom to start with (and has other ways of getting more), so "not buying dice" doesn't completely prevent the GM doing anything with Doom, it merely means the GM has a smaller pool to play with.

N01H3r3

Explorer
I'm sure if I was praising every aspect of the game, you wouldn't care what I posted. It's the criticism of he system that you'd prefer I not talk about.
Disingenuous statement: threads expressing praise don't tend to self-perpetuate in the same way that criticism does. People saying positive things say their piece, and then go about doing something else. Negative threads, regardless of the subject, always continue longer, because people complaining are more inclined to say more and to say it repeatedly.

Water Bob

Adventurer
This is not the case. If a player wants to buy extra dice, then generating some peril later is one of a varying range of options available to him. It is the option that is always available, but it is not the only option available.

Yes, there are other ways of getting extra dice on a throw, but I haven't criticized those methods because there is no peril associated with them later.

And, the most often used method of gaining extra dice is paying Doom (and gaining peril later).

The playtest video represents an earlier form of the game, and is not indicative of the way the Momentum and Doom economies function in the final game. It's a demo of a work-in-progress. Further, the GM already had a quantity of Doom to start with (and has other ways of getting more), so "not buying dice" doesn't completely prevent the GM doing anything with Doom, it merely means the GM has a smaller pool to play with.

If you tell me that the heart of the new version of the 2d20 game system for the new Conan RPG is not a relationship where Reward Now = Peril Later, then I'll probably buy your game and play it.

But, I don't think you can say that of even the newer version of the game. The heart of the mechanics remains the Doom Pool. There are other things that happen, but, mostly, the mechanics focus on players generating Doom and he GM using the Doom Pool "to make things interesting" later in the game.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Disingenuous statement: threads expressing praise don't tend to self-perpetuate in the same way that criticism does. People saying positive things say their piece, and then go about doing something else. Negative threads, regardless of the subject, always continue longer, because people complaining are more inclined to say more and to say it repeatedly.

Disingenuous statement?

Hey, I was ASKED my opinion by two different posters.

And, all of my other posts have been in response to you and the other guy in the conversation.

I've described what I see as bad game mechanics in your game, and you've kept telling me, over and over, how I'm wrong about those mechanics and am a frothing at the mouth crazy guy with an agenda against your game.

N01H3r3

Explorer
I also tried to back out of the discussion a couple of pages ago (and I'm not the only one), and you kept pushing. Don't try and blame others for your insistence on continuing to post.

Don't respond to this post. I won't respond to any more of yours. I refuse to continue with this waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads