Bronn vs. Vardis

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Fresh from a discussion over helmets and shields, I'm impressed by Bronn's decision, when facing off against Ser Vardis, to turn down the offer of a shield.

Which of these elements would you like to use (or have used) in your game?

• Use of NPCs as cover
  • Difficulty of attacking in closed quarters
  • Age and stamina effects in battle (Catelyn judged Vardis to be 15 years older)
  • Use of dodging instead of blocking (the shield Bronn turned down was much larger in the book)
  • Battlefield awareness advantages (Bronn wore a mail coif and halfhelm in the book)
  • One-handing a long sword (or maybe bastard sword, per the clip)
  • Candelabra used in well-lit areas (snark)

What else strikes your fancy?

Fresh from a discussion over helmets and shields, I'm impressed by Bronn's decision, when facing off against Ser Vardis, to turn down the offer of a shield.

Which of these elements would you like to use (or have used) in your game?

• Use of NPCs as cover
  • Difficulty of attacking in closed quarters
  • Age and stamina effects in battle (Catelyn judged Vardis to be 15 years older)
  • Use of dodging instead of blocking (the shield Bronn turned down was much larger in the book)
  • Battlefield awareness advantages (Bronn wore a mail coif and halfhelm in the book)
  • One-handing a long sword (or maybe bastard sword, per the clip)
  • Candelabra used in well-lit areas (snark)

What else strikes your fancy?
I can replicate everything you see in this scene using Mythras. So yes!

Mercurius

Legend
I just re-watched this and what struck me is how Bronn used the environment and was on the defensive, while Vardis just went after Bronn. There was a bit of attrition: Bronn played it safe, engaged as minimally as he could, and then waited for his opportunity. It was a clear instance of experience trumping youth.

TheSword

Legend
You could replicate most in WFRP too. Choosing how to oppose an attack is a big part of that system, as is combat advantage and fatigue conditions.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Flip that around a bit though - Sir Vardis, in that scene, is fighting.. like a man choreographed by Hollywood, not like someone who is depending on that shield to save his life. Wild, wide, telegraphed swings and waving around that shield as a counterbalance far from his body? Really?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Flip that around a bit though - Sir Vardis, in that scene, is fighting.. like a man choreographed by Hollywood, not like someone who is depending on that shield to save his life. Wild, wide, telegraphed swings and waving around that shield as a counterbalance far from his body? Really?
Yeah, his swings looked a bit sloppy. On the other hand, the book conveys that it wasn't Vardis's weapon of choice.

Bronn missed an opportunity as Vardis had to step over the candelabrum. Big tripping hazard for someone who can't see well. But then, I guess Bronn didn't see the Moon Door coming up behind him, either.

Something I'd like to see more in RPGs: peaceful end to combat. Lady Lysa could have declared Bronn's maneuvering as cowardice/forfeit, and executed Tyrion (which wouldn't work so well for the story as we know it).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Something I'd like to see more in RPGs: peaceful end to combat. Lady Lysa could have declared Bronn's maneuvering as cowardice/forfeit, and executed Tyrion (which wouldn't work so well for the story as we know it).
That wouldnt have worked well for Lady Lysa either. The champions fight to the death for the verdict and if she ignored it, then nobody would trust her.

We do a lot of non-lethal combats in our games. It's a nice change up from everything being a fight to the death.

Remove ads