BRP only a buck!

aramis erak

Legend
Hahah, yeah it's bad.

But more so in the "The SRD made available is so bare-bones to be useless" rather than "the most predatory open license of all time" sorta way.
It spends almost as much space saying what you cannot use as what you can...
It very explicitly forbids any Pendragon elements. While also explicitly noting that The Chaosium considers Pendragon as still being in scope of BRP Powered.

Given how divergent Pendragon is, Chaosium almost certainly still considers CoC (all editions) to be BRP powered.

It spends almost as much space saying what you cannot use as what you can...
It very explicitly forbids any Pendragon elements. While also explicitly noting that The Chaosium considers Pendragon as still being in scope of BRP Powered.

Given how divergent Pendragon is, Chaosium almost certainly still considers CoC (all editions) to be BRP powered.
I can only speak for CoC 7th Ed, but that version is clearly different from BRP, as noted in the book itself.

kronovan

Adventurer
Thanks for posting. I bought a copy for my son, as I'm hoping he'll someday consider homebrewing with BRP other than just with his D&D 5e and Savage Worlds staples

From my memory, I seem to recall there being issues with the open license about a decade ago when Chaosium was talking about releasing a new BRP edition. They didn't and IIRC some publishers were negatively impacted. I have some BRP settings from Alephtar Games, like The Celestial Empire and Rome Life & Death of the Republic, which can non longer be bought. I might be remembering the reason for them no longer being sold incorrectly though - might have something to do with Alephtar's release of their Revolution D100 CRB.

Anyone here familiar with the history of the open license around that time?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases