Level Up (A5E) Buffing Monsters

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Yes, I think magic items throw off the monster challenge math more than any other factor. I believe the game is balanced on the assumption that the PCs have no magic items, so as they accumulate more, the published encounter guidelines get less useful.
That's not saying much. So many other design decisions* in 5e itself make the addition of magic items like adding steroids to flag football players.

* Take your pick... turbo charged rests, removal of negative hitpoints in favor of an set of absorb shields that only takes 1 point of healing to fully recharge to soak the next hit up to max-1hp, ranged 1st level heals, etc.

Stalker0

Legend
That's not saying much. So many other design decisions* in 5e itself make the addition of magic items like adding steroids to flag football players.

* Take your pick... turbo charged rests, removal of negative hitpoints in favor of an set of absorb shields that only takes 1 point of healing to fully recharge to soak the next hit up to max-1hp, ranged 1st level heals, etc.

3rd level spell that if you actually do die can just bring you back ;)

FireLance

Legend

My point was, the monster challenge math presumably takes all this into account, but not the addition of magic items.

This is a separate issue from whether you prefer an attrition-based or an encounter-based style of play, whether you prefer easier or deadlier or sandbox-style PCs can try to choose the level of challenge encounters, and specific likes and dislikes with respect to particular spells and abilities.

Remove ads