D&D 5E Bugbears And Borderlands Pre-Launch!

Riley

Legend
Well, my only issue with this is will it really be a 5E primer or is it your own thing?
Sacrosanct discussed/drafted his ideas here: D&D 5E - Blue ONE, An attempt at a TRUE 5e Basic version

YMMV, but this seems to me both a bit of a primer and its own thing.

There are I believe only three classes: Fighter, Rogue, and Wizard. Clerics have been folded in as a subclass of wizard based on my reading of some of the materials Rod/Sacrosanct posted. (He did the same in his basic version of Chromatic Dungeons.)

Apart from that choice it seemed like a solid basic primer to 5e. (However, I have hardly played 5e, so I’m not a good judge to spot how close the one is to the other.)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yep, I know, you will find several of my posts in that thread. ;)

Apart from that choice it seemed like a basic primer to 5e. (However, I have hardly played 5e, so I’m not a good judge to spot how close the one is to the other.)
From our discussion there, my issue is someone who plays this as a primer for 5E will find features in B&B, such as Cannon Fodder, which aren't in D&D.

IMO I think this could be disconcerting for a new player, to find a feature in B&B that they like which they don't find in D&D. In that respect I don't consider this a "primer" as much as it's own thing. Basic D&D wasn't a primer for AD&D, either; so it's fine if it is more just its own thing.

Art Waring

halozix.com
I really like cut down games like this! I tend to do more involved designs, but I really enjoy running things like this with an approach towards making things a little easier.

I have recently had experience introducing players that have never played D&D before, and core 5e can be a bit of an overload for those new to the hobby. It takes time to settle in, I think sometimes a simpler transition into the game is a good thing.

Not to mention softcovers, I do miss them somewhat.

Remove ads