D&D 5E Build a juggernaut

aco175

Legend
Well, it was just a thought/suggestion. You can build the way you think its best. How you picture it. How would you do it?
I would add powers such as 4e had. I may allow the PC to drop critical on 19-20 and let him make a close burst 1 attack or a 1/rest attack with advantage and deal double damage.

Ashrym

Legend
How would you guys build a juggernaut? Some thoughts:
  • Main features: Big damage. Can tank some hits. Strikes fear into his foes, intimidate his own party members. Muscles, but can also use his brain and social skills to overcome problems.
  • Popular Characters to inspire: Thanos, Kratos, Arthas (Warcraft), Hulk, Geralt (The Witcher), Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach), Thor (Marvel), Reinhardt (Overwatch), Venom, Shao Kahn (Mortal Kombat), Achilles, Hercules, Leonidas...
  • Melee Classes that could fit the role: Paladin, Barbarian or Fighter.
  • Races: Dragonborn, Half-orc, Goliath, Orc or Human.
  • Alignment: Chaotic neutral
  • Feats: ?
  • Background: ?

What levels is the campaign running? Only asking because if it's a high level campaign or high level one-shot the champion's survivor ability suddenly turns him into the lovechild of the energizer bunny and a timex watch.

Otherwise I'm looking more at paladin or barbarian options.

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
What levels is the campaign running? Only asking because if it's a high level campaign or high level one-shot the champion's survivor ability suddenly turns him into the lovechild of the energizer bunny and a timex watch.

Otherwise I'm looking more at paladin or barbarian options.

Oh, I wasn't asking for campaign purposes actually... I was just curious about it. But idk, you can assume levels 1-15, maybe? I think that's the most common

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
At 14+ it's difficult to beat a Zealot for "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" as they are practically immune to death by HP reduction while Raging. So you can Recklessly Attack all day which makes it easy to use -5/+10 from GWM to do major damage. PAM can also help with Reaction and Bonus Action attacks.

Edit: they also get practically free resurrections form level 3 and up, so If you have a Cleric in the party, feel free to go down and up like a yo-yo.

Ashrym

Legend
At 14+ it's difficult to beat a Zealot for "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" as they are practically immune to death by HP reduction while Raging. So you can Recklessly Attack all day which makes it easy to use -5/+10 from GWM to do major damage. PAM can also help with Reaction and Bonus Action attacks.

Edit: they also get practically free resurrections form level 3 and up, so If you have a Cleric in the party, feel free to go down and up like a yo-yo.

I'm not sure that ticks all the boxes in the OP. Reckless attack with GWM and PAM do a lot of damage but that can be done on a vengeance paladin with his vow, and the paladin will have the better armor class to avoid hits instead of resistance, and better saving throws, and a healing pool to replace the hit points / damage reduction, and some applicable spells in the list.

2 feats when 3 ASI's are all that's available also hits ability scores. Were you thinking variant human?

Zealot is a strong choice but "can also use his brain and social skills to overcome problems" seems a bit lacking. At least the paladin also has charisma to for that area. Zealot is more like "can tanks some hits" and cranking that up to 11 then ignoring the other listed qualities other than damage.

gyor

Legend
For outside the box thinking by high level, Shadow Sorcerer with Shadow Blade spell and Booming Blade, Umbral Form and maybe 1 level of Rogue for Expertise in Strength. Or maybe just take Enlarge and Enhance Ability type spells. Or both.

For more conventional thinking Tranquality Paladin, that regenerating HPs is hard to beat, plus all that Paladin magic and abilities.

Zealot, Bear Totem, and Ancestoral Guardian are all good too.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I'm not sure that ticks all the boxes in the OP. Reckless attack with GWM and PAM do a lot of damage but that can be done on a vengeance paladin with his vow, and the paladin will have the better armor class to avoid hits instead of resistance, and better saving throws, and a healing pool to replace the hit points / damage reduction, and some applicable spells in the list.

2 feats when 3 ASI's are all that's available also hits ability scores. Were you thinking variant human?

Zealot is a strong choice but "can also use his brain and social skills to overcome problems" seems a bit lacking. At least the paladin also has charisma to for that area. Zealot is more like "can tanks some hits" and cranking that up to 11 then ignoring the other listed qualities other than damage.
Fair enough. I may have concentrated to much on the "Juggernaut" aspect as I found the total list of requirements to be all over the place. I'll try again. Although I will say I'm currently playing a Zealot with 14 Wisdom, Perception, Survival and Insight proficiencies. With no Ranger in the party he is the best at spotting ambushes, tracking, and figuring out who is lying. All of which is using his brain and the last one is useful in social encounters.

Anyway I'll suggest a few more based on the OP:

Thanos: Rune Knight Strong, Tough, Armored and uses magical items to augment his abilities

Kratos: I still think we are talking about a Zealot here

Arthas (Warcraft): Oathbreaker Paladin. Conquest Paladin or Hexblade could also work

Hulk: Bear Totem Warrior or Berserker

Geralt (The Witcher): Monster Hunter or Eldritch Knight

Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach): A guy also not known for his brains or social skills btw: Zealot or Conquest Paladin (for the Fear Aura)

Thor (Marvel): Eldritch Knight using Lightning Spells, Tempest Cleric, Storm Herald

Reinhardt (Overwatch): This is an interesting one. I'd go Cavalier.

Venom: Warlock fits the fluff, and Hexblades are Tough Warlocks.

Shao Kahn (Mortal Kombat): Strong Tough and uses magic, another EK here?

Achilles: Spear and shield, blessed by the gods. Oath of Heroism maybe, possibly also a Zealot?

Hercules: Known for huge feats of strength Bear Totem warrior might fit here or could just be a race with powerful build.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Achilles: Spear and shield, blessed by the gods. Oath of Heroism maybe, possibly also a Zealot?

Hercules: Known for huge feats of strength Bear Totem warrior might fit here or could just be a race with powerful build.

I personally see Achilles as a Battlemaster Fighter with all his skill with the spear and tricks he did. Polearm master, Sentinel. Like the quintessential version of the build to me. Blessed by the gods might be the Lucky feat and background fluff as a variant human with high rolled stats :)

I love the idea of Hercules as a Goliath Bear Totem. That fits pretty well!

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I personally see Achilles as a Battlemaster Fighter with all his skill with the spear and tricks he did. Polearm master, Sentinel. Like the quintessential version of the build to me. Blessed by the gods might be the Lucky feat and background fluff as a variant human with high rolled stats :)

That's much better than what I was thinking. Good call.

I love the idea of Hercules as a Goliath Bear Totem. That fits pretty well!
If using UA the Brawny Feat would be perfect here too. Athletics Expertise and Carrying capacity doubled for a third time are awesome.

The big problem is that Hercules never really needed to go in an Altered state (like Rage) to be stronger, but hey nothing's perfect.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
If using UA the Brawny Feat would be perfect here too. Athletics Expertise and Carrying capacity doubled for a third time are awesome.

The big problem is that Hercules never really needed to go in an Altered state (like Rage) to be stronger, but hey nothing's perfect.

Nice, I had forgotten about that feat.

And... 5e can't model things perfectly in builds... so just toss Herc a belt of Storm Giant Str and call it even :)

Call it a gift from the gods, aka 'daddy' :)

Remove ads