Build me a katana + trenchcoat guy

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Paladin may be interesting. It's got enough Cha vs. AC attacks that you could ignore Strength entirely. Sure, you'll miss out on high-level weapon feats, but that might be worth it.

I'm going to say Eladrin Fighter, though. Simple, and the Longsword feat will make you very happy.

Eladrin Fighter
Str: 16
Con: 14
Dex: 16 (14 +2)
Int: 10 (8 +2)
Wis: 12
Cha: 10

Racial: +2 Arcana, History; +1 Will, +5 on saves vs. Charm effects; Trance; +1 skill (any)

Fey Step
Encounter • Teleportation
Move • Personal
Effect: teleport up to 5 squares.

Fighter
HP: 29
Bloodied: 14
Healing Surge: 7
Surges/day: 11

At-Wills: Sure Strike, Cleave
Encounter: Passing Attack
Daily: Brute Strike

Skills: Athletics, Endurance, Heal, Perception (racial bonus)
Feat: Eladrin Soldier (+2 to damage with your Longsword)

* Level 2
Utility: Boundless Endurance
Feat: Warrior of the Wild (Hunter's Quarry 1/encounter, training in Stealth)

* Level 3
Encounter: Sweeping Blow

* Level 4
+1 Str, +1 Dex
Feat: Quick Draw

* Level 5
Daily: Rain of Steel

* Level 6
Utility: Unbreakable
Feat: Weapon Focus (longsword)

... is that enough levels?

Cheers, -- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Lord Tirian said:
How do you offset the lack of armour? How do you make him the trenchcoat guy?
High Dexterity + Hide Armor (in the shape of a trenchcoat)? That's 16 at 1st level, which isn't terrible. Or does "trench coat" mean "cloth armor only"?

Cheers, -- N

hong

WotC's bitch
I would operationalise trenchcoat to be anything from the lightest armour category. In 3E, that generally means chain shirt or mithral breastplate.

Hide seems kinda unstylish, but maybe that's just 3E prejudice talking.

Wouldn't high Dex for a fighter be suboptimal due to spending points in a non-essential stat?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
hong said:
I would operationalise trenchcoat to be anything from the lightest armour category. In 3E, that generally means chain shirt or mithral breastplate.

Hide seems kinda unstylish, but maybe that's just 3E prejudice talking.
Hide armor is "light", just like leather. It's only one point better than leather, but it does impose an armor check penalty. (Leather is fine too.) However, there's a Paragon feat which gives you a +1 bonus when wearing hide, so that's a point in its favor. Literally.

Wouldn't high Dex for a fighter be suboptimal due to spending points in a non-essential stat?[/QUOTE] Not when there are Heavy Blade-oriented Paragon feats which require Str 15 and Dex 15 or 17, and the Epic feat you most want requires Str 21, Dex 17.

There's also this:
PHB said:
Weapon: If you’re wielding a heavy blade or a light blade, you gain a bonus to the damage roll equal to your Dexterity modifier.
... but you'll have to wait until 13th level to get it, and the rest of its benefits.

Cheers, -- N

The_Fan

First Post
Rapier rogue.

Rapiers do the same damage as a longsword now, but count as light blades, so they work with rogue exploits and sneak attack. Flavor your sword to look more like a katana. Make the trenchcoat out of leather. You'll find it works very well for the sort of lightly armored melee monster you want.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
In 4E, the trenchcoat can be cloth armor - no armor bonus on its own, but it can be enchanted. That's probably how I'd go.

Ruined

Explorer
Cloud? Bah, you're all missing the point. He wants a sword and trenchcoat. I'm thinking level 24 Fighter / Kensei / Eternal Seeker.

c_connor_macleod.jpg

Remove ads