• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Build Questions (Mystic Ranger)

Datalore

First Post
Hey folks,

I got a Rob Stark mini that looked pretty cool and it inspired me to make a tanky guy with a wolf buddy. I settled on a guy with 1 Mystic Ranger level (picking up Wild Cohort for the wolf and Able Learner so I can continue to invest in Handle Animal and other ranger skills as I multiclass). Then 3 levels of Crusader (grabbing Practiced Spellcaster at 3). Then Knight of the Raven for 5 levels (progressing to shield ward). Then one more level of Crusader. Then close it out with 10 levels of Ruby Knight Vindicator. Level 5 spells with Sun domain and 17th level initiator with a wolf buddy. Only 1 level of Ranger, so no Sword of the Arcane Order. But, I can still buff the pet with GMF and what not. Plus I get a cool Raven that let's me AoO on five foot steps (until it dies). If the party needs me to, I can take that trap finding acf (this guy will be in plate but I don't think armor check penalty applies to disable device).

I was thinking this guy could get an enemy's attention and use that stance to add initiator damage to flanked targets once the wolf flanks. Since the wolf description describes it as a pack hunter that uses flanking tactics it should know how to do this. If the wolf gets in trouble, I could use that Glare stance so the enemy focuses on me.

Questions:

1. Is the Mystic Ranger at 1/2 caster level or full caster level? Most posts I have found suggest that it's full caster level (spells at level 1, variant class that does not state 1/2 caster level, language says it casts "better" than a ranger, etc). Is this still the general consensus?

2. Does my build suck?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Remove ads