• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E building a gish in post Xanathar's era...

spartanah

Explorer
so I'm playing a bladesinger and I really like it. but we all know about the problems with the class' offensiveness.
and our DM allows us to change our characters now that Xanathar is out.
the thing is that I play the face of the party a lot, but it's hard with 8 in CHA.
So I wondered whether should I go with:
conquest / hex
conquest / shadow
hex / shadow
or any other idea? I like the "darker" path and the flavor of the classes.
(also liked the gloom and horizon ranger but more diffcult mechanically, although gloom and hex can tell a wonderful tale).

we're now at 7, almost 8. so thet's the level, no 1 book rule, so aasimar are an option and GFB/BB.

would love your ideas

iamntbatman

First Post
Does it have to be melee?

Rogue Scout 3/Hexblade (Blade Pact) X. All those rogue skills, expertise, cunning action, 2d6 sneak attack, skirmisher to get out of melee, auto prof + expertise in nature and survival on top of regular proficiencies and expertise. Skills out the ears. Hexblade plus blade pact to give yourself a longbow using CHA. Eldritch smite for yet more dice. Pact weapon invocations. Could do the Devil's Sight + Darkness trick for auto advantage ranged sneak attacks. Of course you could do something similar with Swashbuckler and a rapier, but the scout just seems so cool. Ranged sneak attacks with all kinds of flat damage bonuses, crits on 19/20, and short rest smites that knock things prone and do force damage? Huzzah.

At level 8 you could give yourself Improved Pact Weapon, Thirsting Blade and Eldritch Smite (I'd save Imp. Pact Weapon for lvl 8 if you start at 7).

iamntbatman

First Post
Yeah, so in that case use a rapier and a shield and probably go Swashbuckler instead of Scout. Similar build, but you'd trade the skirmisher thing for Fancy Footwork (which, even with only one weapon, would allow you to back away from two different melee targets without taking an OA and let you keep your bonus action for other Cunning Action things or Warlock things like Hex or Hexblade's Curse). You'd also get to add your CHA to your initiative, and could also get sneak attack against isolated targets.

You'd have 2 short rest 3rd level spell slots, three cantrips, and could have a nice mix of utility spells for out of combat situations or things the cleric and druid can't cover.

Remove ads