D&D 5E Building a New World

Stormonu

Legend
Last night, as I was driving my son back to college, he erupted with an idea for what he called an "Egyptian Steampunk" campaign. As time passed, we discussed several aspects about it and when I returned home (at 10 pm last night), I pulled up the word processor and went to town.

This is a living document and will continue to be expanded upon and modified as we iron out the campaign. Please excuse the misspellings and grammar errors, this was done stream of thought and I'm still organizing things (rules are yet to be ironed out).

Enjoy, and comments & suggestions are welcome!

I love game ideas that just erupt from nowhere. That's how I ended up with the world I'm currently running which is based on an impact winter from Ymir's body crashing through planes and colliding with this unsuspecting planet.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Any ideas for classes? I think a mameluke class would be appropriate. Also, check out the Shroud variant Rogue from the book Unorthodox Rogues, it is a professional grave-robber who talks to the dead to learn secrets that can be used to find treasures or blackmail people.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Can Luxxor be home to a giant frog that spews forth multicoloured orbs?

and after a google searh the Egyptian Steampunk genre seems to be very popular - so here’s some inspiration
5946E98F-693D-4FD3-BCB3-EE638A154EDD.jpeg

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
Bumping this - more work being done (some racial traits added, tech weapons & armor).

Also been fleshing out the world map

Attachments

• Mythios.png
    Mythios.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 74

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
@Stormonu (and everyone else...)

The book I suggested is available in ebook form for free at Tor.com until October 24th.

It means joining their ebook club - which is also free, and means that at least once a month they'll send you a link to download a free ebook. This isn't a big scam - Tor is generally very generous with electronic downloads, to get you engaged, and have been so for some years.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
@Stormonu (and everyone else...)

The book I suggested is available in ebook form for free at Tor.com until October 24th.

It means joining their ebook club - which is also free, and means that at least once a month they'll send you a link to download a free ebook. This isn't a big scam - Tor is generally very generous with electronic downloads, to get you engaged, and have been so for some years.

:( unfortunately only available in US and Canada - but I did read the short story (A Dead Djinn in Cairo) which was a great read, so I’m definately keen to get more from this author

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Can Luxxor be home to a giant frog that spews forth multicoloured orbs?

and after a google searh the Egyptian Steampunk genre seems to be very popular - so here’s some inspiration
View attachment 127457

What bugs me about this picture?
At the time the pyramids were being built, they were covered with pure white marbel and capped with a golden capstone. And yet this picture shows the naked, bland limestone infrastructure of those pyramids as if that is all there ever was.

Also-- at the time when the pyramids were built, the whole area was not desert but was actually a lush, green forested paradise. The whole Sahara desert was rain forest back then! It just fails to capture the true beauty and wonder of Egypt in its prime and substitutes the bland wasteland it became due to climatic shift that turned their region into a desert and Europe from a frozen tundra into a green paradise.

(Also, the people probably ought to be darker skinned.)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
:( unfortunately only available in US and Canada - but I did read the short story (A Dead Djinn in Cairo) which was a great read, so I’m definately keen to get more from this author

Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to get your hopes up and dash them like that :(

What bugs me about this picture?
Also-- at the time when the pyramids were built, the whole area was not desert but was actually a lush, green forested paradise. The whole Sahara desert was rain forest back then!

I think that's incorrect. Some quick searching suggests:

The Great Pyramid was completed some 4500 years ago plus or minus a few years.

North Africa is arid now, but historically it has what are called African Humid Periods. The rains that were supporting the most recent fertile period in the Sahara ran from 10,000 years to 5500 years ago, and their end prompted the return of desert conditions - human livestock grazing likely hastened the transition, as overgrazing may have chopped off part of the water cycle in the area. Return of arid conditions forced the return of people to the Nile Valley. The return was the basis for the rise of the culture we think of as "Ancient Egypt". The concentration of people led to the concentrated economy that could support such efforts - pyramids ain't cheap!

And, while there may have been some forest here and there during that fertile period, the area was mostly grassy green savannah, not unlike the US Midwest, rather than rainforest.

Remove ads